Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 3, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Sound proofing material input needed
    I would like to build a small, temporary structure to absorb the noise generated from a vacuum motor. The structure needs to be open on one side so the goal is to try to minimize the ambient noise from the vacuum motor as much as possible.

Since an enclosed structure can not be used, which sound reducing materials would be suitable to most effieciently reduce the noise? Is it possible to have sound absorbed with an open sided structure or will the sound simply be channeled through the one open side?

Thank you.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 4, 2007, 03:54 PM
    if you can frame a wall up and use 2x6s use 5/8 sheetrock and r-19 insualtion will help. About the open side , having this really defeats the purpose of the sound proof if you ask me,
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Definitely. With an open side the sound will obviously escape. What I am trying to do is minimize the amount of noise as much as possible. I am hoping I can find a material that will absorb and reduce the amount of noise. I guess sound proof is not a good term to use - more like sound dampening.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
    What Is The Reason It Can't Be Inclosed? If It Is For Ventilation You Can Get A Louvered Door, Or If There Can't Be A Door At All. The Wall You Frame Have It Come Out Striaght And Then Angle The Wall 45 Degrees , This Will Help Redirect The Noise Somewhat.
    Something Else I Thought Of Is, If The Room That This Vac Is In, How About Changing The Door You Have To That Room To A Solid Core Door

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damp proofing [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to have damp proffing done

Judgement proofing my assets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a disputed balance with a credit card company. They won't adjust or stop adding what I consider huge charges to the balance. I expect them to soon seek a judgement. What can I do? Ugene

Water proofing in shower install? [ 3 Answers ]

hi, I am installing a neo-angle shower. I have elected to build a false wall instead of going right to the joists (due to lath & plaster walls and that even those studs would not be straight). Then I shimmed everything and strapped with 2x4. I put up some special drywall for showers I bought...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

Ok I need some outside input [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I really think I need some help. I am with my boyfriend whom we have been together for two years now. I am 7 months pregnant and he just asked me to marry him on christmas. Sounds sweet huh. Well I am still with him because he was supposed to quit smoking pot, and he wasn't going to play...

View more questions Search