Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casperwing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Hold On Account
    I recently moved to Texas changed my address at my bank.I received a judgment in the mail from from Erie county in New York. I now have a hold on my account is this legal also my account only holds social security benefits as I am disabled Please help:confused:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 03:42 AM
    Ask the bank for a copy of the garnishment on the account, than file a Motion to Quash the garnishment wit hthe court listed. You must do so now, call the bank it time is limited. Yes SSI payment are exempt from garnishment, but you must notify the court and the bank now.

Read this post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...evy-86065.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Why wouldn't it be legal? You failed to pay a debt you incurred, they sued you and won a judgement so they attached your assets. Nothing illegal about the facts as you have presented them.

The creditor doesn't know what's in the account. While they can't garnish SSI payments, once they're deposited they don't know what the payments are. You will need to go back to the court that issued the garnishment and file the motion to quash. This will not remove the hold, but give you another hearing where you can present evidence that they should not have been awarded a judgement and that the only funds in the account are from your SSI payments.

The major problem is you need to file with the NY court at least initially. You may be able to get the venue changed to Texas. I would suggest consulting an attorney. They can contact an attorney in NY to start the ball rolling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Hold [ 2 Answers ]

My sister is currently on probation in WI for a drug charge. She was put in jail on Tues. for a probation hold for suspition of delivering narcotics. They have not officially charged her, they are still invetigating it. By Law how long can they keep her in jail??

Hold on, move on, or both? [ 169 Answers ]

Hi all, obviously, my problem is about a woman. We broke up to weeks ago. The main reason (she said) was that she didn’t believe in a future for us anymore. We have been a couple for 18 months. The last couple of weeks of our relationship we had a lot of fights. I almost always started the fight...

What does my future hold [ 1 Answers ]

D.o.b. 8-21-68.

Hold on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I deposited my federal student loan check in my bank account and a hold was placed on the account by an unknown creditor. I never received notice. Can my federal studen loan monies be held if it is to be used for education?

View more questions Search