Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe Nardini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Propane gas generator
    I have a customer who recently had a new 16 kW propane gas Generac generator installed.
    When and only when the generator is running, his APC/UPS keeps toggling back and forth indication a incoming power line problem. I checked the neutrals, grounds and phase connections and all seems OK. I heard in the past that a gas aspired generator is not conducive to a UPS or computer is this the problem?

Thank You,

[email protected]
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
    The issue may be the frequency and/or voltage from the genset causing the UPS to think the power is not adequate.

The issue you mention with UPS on gensets is that a UPS is a highly capacitive load that the genset has a problem with.

Generally speaking the KVA of a genset should be at least 1.5 times the KVA rating of a UPS. Ideally there should be an equal amount of inductive load on a genset to help counteract the KVAR of a UPS.

I suspect that your UPS is not that large, so the issue is to fine tune the output of the genset. In any case if possible , add some inductive load to the genset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert propane gas to the natural gas dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer in the basement that need to be used in propane gas but my current set up is through natural gas. I didn't realize until I try to dry the clothes but it was taking much much longer time... Is there any way that I can convert the natural gas? . Let me know Thanks

Propane gas converter [ 1 Answers ]

We have a propane furnace that was installed without the converter put on... what kind of damage has been done to unit and what kind of gas have we been smelling, this has been going in for @ 1 month. It was fixed as of yesterday.

Propane gas pressure [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on one burner on the stove it burns OK,if I turn on more then 1 I lose gas pressure.the regulator has been changed,the furnace will light lose pressure then go out.. tank is full.. please help..

View more questions Search