Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Can an Apple PC network with an IBM, and other misc questions?
    Since the wife has no patience trying to learn XP, file structure, etc. an me trying to teach her, well, can you imagine a French lady and an Irishman having a civil conversation after the tempers have flared?

I thought she would do better with a Mac, to let her do her hobbies, and help save our marriage.

She does most of her work with graphics, photos, and the like.

As far as Internet, I only allow FireFox, will FF work on Mac?

And I know absolutely nothing about Mac's. Thou, being a calm cool collective male, I am sure I can learn, quickly.

Will a Mac connect with a network with other IBM Pc's running XP?

Any suggestions, comments, or opinions on Mac will be appreciated also.

Many thanks in advance, I cringe every time she needs to download pictures from her camera. Please save me from anymore, shall we say, colorful discussions!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
    FF on Mac NO WORRIES.
    Now when it comes to networking it really depends on what you are thinking of doing.
    Simple internet access will be easy, especially if you already run an internet router setup. TCP/IP is the networking standard and is happy on both machines. Otherwise you are in for a fun time... NOT

In my opinion, MAC Nooooooooooooooo Avoid avoid avoid, but that's me.
    Too sucked in by Micro$oft, but slowly escaping to linux ;)
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 3, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    As far as Internet, I only allow FireFox, will FF work on Mac?
    Absolutely it does. I have a Mac PowerBook and I only use FF on it.
    Will a Mac connect with a network with other IBM Pc's running XP?
    Definitely. The MAC has built-in support for accessing Windows Shares provided you share the filesystem from your XP.
    Any suggestions, comments, or opinions on Mac will be appreciated also.
    I use a MAC, Windows XP, and Linux and I interconnect them at home and work without much of a headache. If you also have wireless at home the MAC will work just find as well. You'll find that the MAC's wireless setup is way easier to configure than under XP (at least that is my experience).

Casey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2007, 05:44 PM
    The only issue you may encounter is sharing files. If you want to use a file created on the MAC from XP or vice versa, you need to have software that recognize the file type.

Jul 3, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Curlyben agrees: TK, listen to this guy as he's THE MAN ;)
    Hehe... Thanks Curlyben
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Gentlemen three, thank you all.

Seems I am on the right track to preserving my sanity.

All makes good sense now.

Thanks again , feels good to have someplace to go when I will have the inevitable problems. I can do anything for anyone else have everything fall into place... do it for myself, and disaster.

Jul 3, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The only issue you may encounter is sharing files. If you want to use a file created on the MAC from XP or vice versa, you need to have software that recognize the file type.
    There are definitely some things to look out for. But from personal experience about the only common type of files I use back and forth are Microsoft Office, ZIP files, and PDFs. I have no problems with the ZIP/PDF files. I have Office for the Mac and I've been pretty impressed with the compatibilities of files between the two. I've moved/opened/modified Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on the both systems without a hitch. I'm sure some features might not work but I haven't come across them in my normal day to day use. However, as ScotGem mentioned, if you don't have MS Office on the Mac and you modify a word document on the Mac then there is a good chance you'll ruin the file.

In terms of copying files back and forth I haven't had any problems with doing that. The only really annoying thing that I've seen so far is that the Mac will leave a trace of itself in each folder you visit on the XP machine. I think it maintains "view" preferences for every folder it visits on the XP machine. It doesn't harm anything but if you see those popping up everywhere you'll know where they came from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc, 403b contribution, mortgage interest questions [ 4 Answers ]

QUESTION 1 I received a 1099-misc for a seminar I attended. It is not from my main job, where I got a regular W2. I own a home, and am using TurboTax. They're using a full form 1040. For this money from the 1099-misc, they want it on the schedule C, for saying it's from my personal business....

IBM Thinkpad [ 2 Answers ]

Couple questions... I have a PIII IBM thinkpad laptop. It turns on the lights turn on I can hear the HDD and cdrom running but no image comes on the screen. I am almost sure it is the motherboard. But some are talking about a video sub card. I am fairly new to laptops soooo is this just a fancy...

Ibm think pad [ 3 Answers ]

I can't fiind a better video driver 4 win 98se I have one vftprw8m it doesn't work, I really need another , this driver runs at 16 color , I need better, plsssss help me

Ibm Thinkpad Graphics [ 1 Answers ]

**DRIVING ME NUTS** ibm thinkpad 600e; windows 98se; when you fire up machine, you suffer v. poor graphics & if you right-click empty area of screen & select properties, it doesn't allow you to move the slider bar to adjust screen size, & only 2 colours are available, 16or black & white!! Have...

View more questions Search