Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Am I the only one?
    Back in high school (which is for me a few years ago) I used to be shy and couldn't really talk to people. I would just stutter and say crazy stuff.
    Not anymore, and I have gotten to realize how. I would also watch a lot of mocvies in that shy fase. What I did was imitate the characters. When I realised what I was doing, I started to do this on a more aware level. Whenever I see a character that is supossed to be charismatic or socially well-developed, I start to study that personality. Yes, it has gone to the point of studying them. I watch the way they move, walk talk, what they say, why they do hat they do and how it helps them. I look for scripts on the internet and I order DVD's of movies I already saw, just because of the charismatic character in it.

Now, the reason for posting this:

1. For the ones that need it, being helpful.

2. For me, because I was wondering, is this something more people do or is it just my personal crazy thing, so to speak.

Ow, and if anyone knows a movie with a character in it who is charming, social or whatever, let me know;)
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jul 3, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Well, I think you took it to a different level personally. I for one have a social phobia and of course do not do well in a social environment. Like you I have seen myself act like others from anime or movies or just friends (how they socialize). But, I have not studied how they do it like you have. Like me, I think most people just unconsciously mimic them to get out of their shyness. Of course, this is just what I think most do. But there are many people so I am SURE that you aren't the only one :) there are probably more than you can count that do it :P
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 07:37 AM
    You could become the next great comedian or great actor. These are great qualities you have.

Jul 5, 2007, 03:29 AM
    Well, I know what you mean Marily. But back then, I was really low on social skills. Since in a movie everything is exaggerated, it was easier to see how they (movie personalities) do it. It worked out just fine for me, and that's why I will keep using movie personalities (and real people as well, but the movie people are easier, as said) as an example to develop myself, because I think one cannot be "done" with personal growth.
    But you are right, I should be alert this is not getting out of hand.
    A coconut Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Watching some one else who is getting the results you want, and then doing the same things that person does and getting the desired results, is a very good idea, it works, and it should be tried more often even on other areas of our lives.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 04:09 AM
    I think that using a person in the movie to help you identify traits that you wish you had is fine. In fact, knowing and identifying your own faults or short comings shows great strength. And as long as you stay true to your beliefs using these characters to help you change these flaws is a great idea.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
    RB - You've done it exactly right. :)

One of the best paths to success is to find someone that has success in they way you want, and then model the same behaviors - Just as RB has.

Once you've got things working, you come to understand why it is working, and how you can improve yourself - Just as RB has.

Far too many people take a working model and decide to "innovate" without knowing what they are doing, and end up with something that doesn't work... So they "go back to the basics" - or the original model that did work - and start again.

Jul 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
    True Philly, that's what the "studying" is about. Just imitating whatever the characters are doing wouldn't lead anywhere, but since I thoroughlt look at their behavior and ask myself things like what is it they are doing? Why? How helps it them? I understand the behavior, as you pointed out correctly.
    And well, it may require great strength to identify ones flaws, as Tuscany said, but I don't think its much of a hill. In fact, the way to (self)improvement begins with recognition. But it seems for other people (in my environment) it is different to recognize flaws. I find myself not understanding these figures why they do not want to improve myself and well, I think it's a shame for them.

And in case you were wondering by now, my real name is NOT Phillip Mcgraw;) (better known as dr. Phil)
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 05:21 AM
    I think that your study is rather facinating. And like I said before, you are probably much stronger then the other people in your environment. You can look at yourself and realize that you have flaws, and you have the courage to do something about that. There are not many who are willing to admit that they are flawed, and even fewer willing to work on the flaws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search