Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joannr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Leak between street and house
    We have a leak between the street and the house (about 400 ft). We don't know where the pipes enter the house but have narrowed the search to about 100Ft. Is there an effective way of finding this other than digging and if not, how deep do we have to dig for water in a concrete slab?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 2, 2007, 08:04 PM
    About 15 - 20 years ago, I a day off and the City was installing a sewer system and running water mains down the middle of the street and from the main line in the street to where each home would connect to the sewer line. I saw a worker walking with a device in his hand that lookedl ike he was looking for water beneath the earth's surface attempting to locate an existing water line. The device was either a piece of a metal clothes hanger or a wooden fork and he said that when he crossed the water line, the stick or hanger would suddenly be pulled downward and that indicated there was a wate line beneath. I said "got to be kidding, with all the other methods that must be available, that would be the least reliable. All the workers laughed and said that method worked. I though it was an old tale that had been handed down for years but I guess it's a good method ? Anyone, have any other experiences with looking for water lines similar to this ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 3, 2007, 07:20 AM
    What the bondman's referring to is called "dowsing " and is not part of a plumbers tool kit. A much better way, if the pipe is galvanized, is to call around and locate a metal detector. Now you will be able to follow the service line all the way from meter to house. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Star Street [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember that cute cartoon Star Street? Itīs almost hopless to find anything about it. I would like to know who made it, I only found out its dutch and from the 80īs, but nothing more :(

On Street Parking [ 2 Answers ]

Our nonprofit organization has a 24 ft RV that we use for outreach. We regularly park the vehicle next to our Experimental Community Curbside Garden that we have been developing for approx. 2 years. In addition we do neighborhood watch. On several occasions our neighbors across the street...

How can we find a leak in our house? [ 1 Answers ]

The pressure drops to nothing on our combi boiler within an hour of pressurising it. The plumber says it is because we have a leak somewhere in the house but we can't find one. He says that there is at least a kettle full of water being lost somewhere in the house for the pressure to go down as...

Waste leak under house-crawl [ 1 Answers ]

We have a house built in the 50's in the midwest. It is on a crawl that is very hard to maneuver in. We have had water under there for the better part of a year now and have not been abel to locate the problem. I recently noticed when the washtub empties I see water movement, ever so slight,...

Street bike [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling my cruiser and am planning on buying a street bike (bullet). I would like to know what are some adventages of doing this and what are some disadvantages. Also to whoever knows about these motorcycles, what would be a good inexpensive one that would fit me. I mean I am kind of short and...

View more questions Search