Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carleton_piglet Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Joint Pain Everywhere
    I'm eighteen years old and I've been experiencing joint pain lately, and was wondering where it's coming from. It started when I sprained my ankle last month, and then my knee started swelling up out of nowhere. Then my whole leg started swelling... The pain started from my ankle and knee to my feet, then my hips, and then my other leg. I then started noticing it in my fingers and wrists as well. The swelling is gone now, but I can't move each joint to its full range of motion, and leaning on any joint causes pain as well. Sometimes I get joint pain when I wake up, or when I've been sitting or standing for awhile, and especially after I do any kind of exercise. Please help!
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Joint pain throughout your body as you describe can be caused by anything from an infection to an autoimmune disease. It is highly unlikely that your original injury has anything to do with the pain in other joints. For now, rest as much as possible and apply ice. You should really see your PCP for some bloodwork to rule out infection and then go from there.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Mmmm I'd say autoimmune disease arthritis is the most likely _although as cinnabar says, an infection can hurt all over-like hell!
    turkey Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2007, 11:25 PM
    I would get checked for a blood clot in your legs because is will make them swell as well as your other extremities! You are so young it probably is not aclot but I would get checked for it anyway, and your thyroid
    squackmaster Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Jul 3, 2007, 02:34 AM
    You should also get check for Lyme Disease
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 03:35 AM
    You should be going to the doctor asap when the swelling was happening. You need to get checked out by a doctor and get some blood work done , etc... Best of luck.

Joe
    carleton_piglet Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I was wondering if it might be rheumatoid arthritis... Also, if my neck starts to hurt, should I be more concerned?
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease-this is what I was alluding to.

If pain is in your neck-then it is even more likely to be this. Mobility-especially walking and swimming, are the wholistic fix, pain medicine is the short-term remedy.
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jul 4, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Please go see your PCP for some blood work before you get worked up about rheumatoid arthritis. As an 18 year old, it is unlikely.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Actually this is a huge misconception-arthritis is affecting more and more young people as time goes on! however, see your GP.

Read this
    Rheumatoid arthritis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here as well:
    Epidemiology
    The incidence of RA is in the region of 3 cases per 10,000 population per annum. Onset is uncommon under the age of 15 and from then on the incidence rises with age until the age of 80. The prevalence rate is 1%, with women affected three to five times as often as men. It is 4 times more common in smokers than non-smokers. Some Native American groups have higher prevalence rates (5-6%) and black persons from the Caribbean region have lower prevalence rates. First-degree relatives prevalence rate is 2-3% and disease concordance in monozygotic twins is approximately 15-20%.

It is strongly associated with the inherited tissue type Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) antigen HLA-DR4 (most specifically DR0401 and 0404) — hence family history is an important risk factor.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
    I knew a person that was walking around barefoot stepped on a sliver of glass and stubbed her toe . We got out the piece of glass, but her foot started to swell up, she kept insisting that we left a piece of the glass in. She even went to the dr's and he could not find any more glass. After awhile her foot started to swell like it was sprained. Within a few weeks her legs and back started to hurt. This went on for about a year. Someone at work suggested a chiropractor and wa lah, he put the toe back in place and the pain and problems disappeared. When she stubbed her toe it did not go back into place properly and he said this is were the pain and swelling was coming from. So maybe give a chriopractor a call.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 8, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Arthritis is a likely diagnosis but acute joint pain in one so young can also be a sign of leukemia. GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coming off Chantix - Joint pain ? [ 20 Answers ]

Ouch! Help. :o Last Friday was my last dose of Chantix. Yippee, right. Well, my elbow joint, right now feels like it is on fire and hurts worse than a toothache. Can I be experiencing joint pain as a result of the Chantix leaving my system. I just took some advil, but it hurts so...

15 with joint pain/discomfort [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 15, and its gotten into winter now, and for some reason, my joints have started acting up... starting with the joints in my fingers feeling discomfort, sort of creaky and painful, with the discomfort extending from the joints further along from the nuckles to the end of the fingers. Then I...

Yorkie has pain in hind leg joint [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 and a half year of Yorkie. She cries every time her right leg is moved in a specific position such has lying on her left side that causes her right hind leg to kind of rise, or when I pick her up by her underarms. She's not limping when she walks but seems VERY hesitant to lie down on...

Sulfuric burps, diarrhea, and joint pain [ 4 Answers ]

My mom is having a lot of sulfuric burps, diaharreah, and every joint in her body is hurting. What could cause this? :confused:

Finger Joint pain [ 1 Answers ]

The index finger of my right hand has been hurting for about a week now for no reason that I can think of. I don't believe I caused it any trauma and there is no apparent swelling or bruising. However, every time I bend the finger or use it when typing the joint hurts and feels like it has been...

View more questions Search