Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plsntnrules Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Garage Door will not close
    When I press the wall switch, the garage door will move forward a few inches and then stop. If I hit the switch again it will reverse back to the starting position. If I keep doing this a few times it will eventually close all the way. But then when I open it up again it will start doing the same thing.

I have no idea what to look for. The floor sensors are all clear of debris and the infrared light is strong and obstruction free.

Thanks for any help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
    You have two adjustment screws on the motor unit. These screws are part of a switch that senses the pressure and distance of movement required to close/open the door. I would suspect that the sensor thinks the door is closed all the way and shuts off, its too sensitive. Find the screws on the back of the unit and adjust.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I had same problem once. There is a worm gear inside unit that got out of sink by a laoud clap of thunder. Had to readjust it to get to working properly. It acts as a limit switch in which in opens and closes contacts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 08:24 PM
    I would check the limit switch to make sure the control is getting the signal that the switch has returned to its normal position.
    komarevo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 09:56 PM
    It is a faulty close switch. You have to replace it with the open switch. I mean, you do not need the open switch - door will operate without it. Throw away your existing close switch and on the same place screw your open switch and connect it in the opener head as a close switch. You might have to extend the wire of the open switch that now becomes the close switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search