Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit
    I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over tub use (which is where I have installed it). So, to accommodate that requirement I have purchased a faceless GFCI unit that I was hoping to install into the same 2 gang switchbox as the triple switch. However, the GFCI instructions say that I can't wire it into a box with more than 4 wires (excluding ground). My arrangement has a few more than that.

So the questions are:

1) where in this circuit does one place the GFCI? Before or after the switch?

2) Can I gang 2 single switch boxes together to meet the isolation requirements of the GFCI or should I just move the GFCI elsewhere like the basement or the attic?

3) What proximity does the GFCI need to be in relationship to the fan to be effective and could I place it closer to the fan away from the 3 bathroom switches? I have read that long runs can be problematic with GFCI circuits even though GFCI breakers can be a long way away (which confuses me).

4) Can I place this single 15A GFCI in front of all three devices and have them all protected (instead of just the fan) or is this too much load?

Thanks as always.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2005, 07:14 PM
    I wonder if it would be easier to exchange the faceless GFCI unit for a GFCI breaker, and have everything on the circuit GFCI protected. Better check code.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2005, 05:46 AM
    The GFCI...
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous
    I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over tub use (which is where I have installed it). So, to accomodate that requirement I have purchased a faceless GFCI unit that I was hoping to install into the same 2 gang switchbox as the triple switch. However, the GFCI instructions say that I can't wire it into a box with more than 4 wires (excluding ground). My arrangement has a few more than that.

So the questions are:

1) where in this circuit does one place the GFCI? Befor or after the switch?

2) Can I gang 2 single switch boxes together to meet the isolation requirements of the GFCI or should I just move the GFCI elsewhere like the basement or the attic?

3) What proximity does the GFCI need to be in relationship to the fan to be effective and could I place it closer to the fan away from the 3 bathroom switches? I have read that long runs can be problematic with GFCI circuits even though GFCI breakers can be a long way away (which confuses me).

4) Can I place this single 15A GFCI in front of all three devices and have them all protected (instead of just the fan) or is this too much load?

Thanks as always.
    ... is:
    1. Connected directly to a breaker in your service panel. This breaker is for your bathroom and bathroom only. The GFCI has a set of terminals that allow other circuits (such as the switch) to be wired into the fault protection and thereby also under GFCI 'control'. If you do not have an accessible GFCI in the bathroom (includes plugs like a typical wall plug) you must install one. It also comes with a test and reset button on the front.
    2. This is possible but what do you mean by isolation? Remember the GFCI must service the entire bathroom. The GFCI must be in the bathroom and without checking code, I am certain nearby the vanity.
    3. No need to move it closer... remember to use the provided terminals for added circuits and their protection. GFCI's trip when they need to. Long runs will not be an issue unless there are leakage paths along the way (such as moisture) and this is what the GFCI protects against. You'll have no problem in the bathroom.
    4. Yes, this is exactly what it is intended for. You are not likely to overload the GFCI with 2 lights and a fan!

I will repost if I find any other issues in the code that disagree or should be added to the above.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2005, 06:06 AM
    The GFCI...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickit
    ...is:
    1. Connected directly to a breaker in your service panel. This breaker is for your bathroom and bathroom only. The GFCI has a set of terminals that allow other circuits (such as the switch) to be wired into the fault protection and thereby also under GFCI 'control'. If you do not have an accessible GFCI in the bathroom (includes plugs like a typical wall plug) you must install one. It also comes with a test and reset button on the front.
    2. This is possible but what do you mean by isolation? Remember the GFCI must service the entire bathroom. The GFCI must be in the bathroom and without checking code, I am certain nearby the vanity.
    3. No need to move it closer...remember to use the provided terminals for added circuits and their protection. GFCI's trip when they need to. Long runs will not be an issue unless there are leakage paths along the way (such as moisture) and this is what the GFCI protects against. You'll have no problem in the bathroom.
    4. Yes, this is exactly what it is intended for. You are not likely to overload the GFCI with 2 lights and a fan!

I will repost if I find any other issues in the code that disagree or should be added to the above.
    ... must be on the wall within 3' of the basin and the bathroom must have a committed 20A service (as first posted). All receptacles are to be GFCI protected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

Baseboard heater wiring circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have...

Circuit Breaker Won't Switch To On [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Today, I realized that one of my condensing units isn't working properly. So I was turning the breakers to both the A/C downstair and upstair units on and off periodically during the day to figure out the problem. Nothing has been solved on that end, but...

Attic conversion circuit wiring [ 1 Answers ]

hello all and thanks ahead for any helpful advice! I am in the process of converting my attic (cape cod) into living space. Master bedroom (approx 15x28(l-shaped)) and half bath (approx 5x5). Looking for your input on how many/what type of circuits to install. I figured one 20 amp for the 1/2...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search