Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
    I don't know anything about that sort of thing. My son has his father's last name after he specifically asked for it to be changed in the court papers. Then it took him 2 years to actually do, and I am the one who had to do all of the paperwork and ended up paying for it as well!
    arhouston Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jul 3, 2007, 10:42 AM
    angelz921... you need to have some type of court order written up if you don't he is going to walk all over you I have the same thing happen to me sort of my ex thought cause he was the father he could do what he wanted when he wanted w/ our son and I showed he that he couldn't (with the help of the help the courts) stand your ground things will get better it did for me his visitation has has been suspended yes!! He wasn't using them anyway

Jul 3, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I spoke to an attorney yesterday afternoon, right now the first step I have to take is to go to the county where the original paperwork was filed and get everything the court has. The attorney thinks that it was improperly filed and maybe that the mediation papers could be null and void do to his incompetent attorney not filing things the way they should have. He didn't even file the DNA results with the courts like he was required to. If I have my way I will also make his visitation here in Florida and not in Maryland as well. There are so many things that the attorney thinks I was screwed on, and the fact that the father moved to Maryland with out consulting me was a violation of our agreement, which stated if one parent moved out of the state it had to be approved by the other parent do to how difficult visitation would be.

I plan on doing what I have to to make sure my son is not mentally damaged by his selfishness!
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 10:20 PM
    Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights Florida-
    Statute: § 39.806v Circumstances That Are Grounds for Termination

Abandonment or Extreme Parental Disinterest
    Abuse/Neglect
    Felony Conviction/Incarceration
    Failure of Reasonable Efforts
    Abuse/Neglect or Loss of Rights of Another Child
    Sexual Abuse
    Child Judged in Need of Services/Dependent
    Child's Best Interest
    Child in care 15 of 22 months (or less)
    Felony assault of child or sibling
    Murder/Manslaughter of sibling child

Circumstances That Are Not Grounds for Termination

Mental Illness or Deficiency
    Failure to Maintain Contact
    Failure to Provide Support
    Failure to Establish Paternity

Jul 4, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Yeah I read that off that website too
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Step-parent adoption is very hard to be done when the non-custodial parent pay child support.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
    If your son's father will not consent to the adoption, then you don't have much of a case. It sounds like the dad is paying child support and if he is calling "every few days", as you put it, then he's certainly making the effort to stay involved in his son's life and be a part of it. That said, your chances of getting a judge to agree to an adoption without his consent are slim to none. The fact that the father moved from FL to MD may be slightly questionable but that's just icing on the cake.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelz921
    I have called a few attorney's and I keep getting a run around, no one wants to deal with custody cases "because they are to difficult"
    I think that what these lawyers are trying to tell you is that such cases are unwinnable. The law doesn't base itself on emotions. Unfortunately your arguments have been just that ; emotional ones, not legal ones. Throwing up at the airport, forcing him to go with a stranger, etc. ; these are all designed to provoke emotional reactions and judges can't rule based on that. While your concerns as a mother may be valid, the law is the law and this "stranger" is your son's father, like it or not and as such he has rights. As others have said, as long as he's not a threat to the well-being of your son, he has the right to see his son. Based on what you've told us here, it doesn't sound like he is or that by visiting with his son it in any way violates his best interests. That's why lawyers don't want to get involved with such cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got pregnant by someone she doesn't want to be with. During her pregnancy she married a man and he wants to be the father of the baby. The bio father has said to leave him alone. We were told that since she was married at the time of the birth that the babies last name will be the...

Step Parent Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking for information on how I can adopt his son. Currently, my husband has joint legal custody, however this will hopefully change to sole custody after our court date at the end of the month. Does the biological mother have to sign off on it? Does she have to stop paying...

Step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an 8 year old son and my husband wants to adopt him. His real father agrees, he lives in Louisiana, and he lives in North Carolina. Which state do we do this in? And where do I start. Please anyone with an answer, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

A person adopts there spouses child from a previous marriage. If they devorce does the adoptive parent owe child support of does the bio parent that gave up rights owe child support

Step Parent Adoption In Ca [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of California, how does my husband go about adopting my daughter from a previous relationship. My daughter's father would give his consent.

View more questions Search