Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Computernerd6312 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Problem w/ phone jack
    I want to put a phone in my bedroom, but the phone jack just doesn't work! Is there anything I can do to like, "activate" it or something?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Trace the wiring, make sure its connected.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Jul 2, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Pull the cover off and check to see if there are wires behind and connected. I have found sometimes that the wallplate is there but there are no wires. Next, if there are wires look for the colors. Could be Red-Green or White-Blue which are generally the first pair for inside house wiring. Follow those wires if you can. If not then you may have to open the network interface box for your house. Do you know where that is? Could be on the side of the house next to your electric meter or maybe in the basement of your home. Open it up and look for any wires not connected that are the same color. (if you're lucky they didn't get spliced somewhere else.) Just follow the same colors that are connected and connect these wires. Might not be a bad idea to mark these wires in case you need to remove them again. Now before you check for dial tone make sure the existing phones are still working. If so plug then plug a phone in the jack you are trying to get working. Hopefully you now have dial tone at your jack. One thing, if you connected the wires and now your existing phones don't work then you might have trouble on the wires you just connected. Simply remove the wires that you hopefully marked, wait for a sec. and recheck your existing phones. Then, unless you have decent troubleshooting skills it might be best to call your phone company for help. Good luck.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 05:12 PM
    In addition to above, check other phone jacks, and verify all connected.
    If category type, white/blue to green on jack, and blue/white to red.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
    By a cordless:) (Have to have some fun)!

Are you planing to have a separate line?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Actually if you do have cordless phone, go to jack in bedroom. Get dial tone on cordless,
    Touch wires together, if you hear connection, you know you have the pair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Rewiring of phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to rewire my phone jack so that it is just one line. I am trying to put the white/blue, blue/white lines back on the jack, but they have this plastic tab in the end of them. Can I just snip the wire? Thanks! Robyn

Re wire phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting another phone line in kids room how do you rewire the jack

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search