Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 02:45 AM
    Looking for martial art
    I'am looking for a martial art to practice. Point is that there are many different martial arts, and I don't know which one fits me best. I've been looking around on the internet and I keep reading stuff like "you dont have to be strong for this martial art".

Now I've been doing weight lifting for about 5 years, and, without being immodest, I can say I've built up some strength and muscle. That's the reason I wonder if there is a martial art out there where being strong is a virtue, or at least an advantage.

Furthermore, I'm looking for a martial art to teach some self defense, and to develop myself fysically and mentally (that is, mental and fysical development one doesn't get from lifting weights).
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo_Bravo
    I'am looking for a martial art to practice. Point is that there are many different martial arts, and I don't know which one fits me best. I've been looking around on the internet and I keep reading stuff like "you dont have to be strong for this martial art".

Now I've been doing weight lifting for about 5 years, and, without being immodest, I can say I've built up some strenght and muscle. Thats the reason I wonder if there is a martial art out there where being strong is a virtue, or at least an advantage.

Furthermore, I'm looking for a martial art to teach some self defense, and to develop myself fysically and mentally (that is, mental and fysical development one doesn't get from lifting weights).
    What you mean is you are looking for 'discipline'. Try your search using this terminology and I think you will have more luck. The problem is, physical strength and martial arts don't really go hand in hand because the two add up to maiming if used in the same context.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Of course strengh helps in all of them, but it is often speed, and flow of movements, In practice, you will spend hours and hours just doing movements. I would say the one where you like the instructor, the one that has classes you can get to on time,

But for example, a old fat man like myself, may be able to stop a body builder weight lifter very easy, using his own strengh against him,
    You learn where one finger pressed at the right place can do more than your fist any day.

So the first thing is to admit you don't know anything and have to be molded into a new form.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jul 6, 2007, 12:12 AM
    To quote parts of another answer I gave on a different thread

The important thing is to find a school or instructor whom you can learn from.
    They must be able to give you obtainable:
    A. times for instruction.
    B. close enough location.
    C. affordable cost.
    D. safe learning environment.
    E. and reasonable expectations about progress.

Only if can find a place where you can trust, and be rewarded with respect back, should you train there. It is your choice, so choose wisely, but you are not locked into any one style, and can change what martial art(s) you study, or just study additional martial arts over time. Sometimes teachers move away or schools close, so be prepared for that.

When trying to learn anything, you must find a way to understand how YOU can do what the instructor is presenting. Whether book/video live presentation or whatever.

Very strong or moderately weak should not inhibit you from learning and doing well.

To review:
    Look for closeness, so you can get there to practice.
    Look for reasonable cost.
    Watch a class and see instructors style, and basic rules of classes.
    Pick one, and start.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo_Bravo

Now I've been doing weight lifting for about 5 years, and, without being immodest, I can say I've built up some strenght and muscle. Thats the reason I wonder if there is a martial art out there where being strong is a virtue, or at least an advantage.

shadowman06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 03:08 PM
    This all depends on what you want to learn. If you are into just the inner peace and relaxing without all the hard contact, then ti-chi is the way to go . Personally I go for the more hands on defense like Akihito, and Kung-fu. Other forms are great to learn such as kempo, or judo if your more of the "on the ground fighting." But it is really up to you and how you feel about the environment around you.
    Colonel Young Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Any form of Karate may be good, and there are plenty of those types of schools around the United States (I'm not sure as to your location nor the frequency of martial art schools in other countries). But yes, a form of 'discipline'.

Most self-defense martial arts are mostly about using momentum (speed may also be a variable of this), automatic reactions, and (the best ones) fight prevention. Defending yourself is more than just kicking somebody's butt. The masters of martial arts understand that in most circumstances, you're not going to know the strength or speed of your opponent, and thus, relying purely on your strength (in particular, arm strength) is not a reliable factor.

Instead, the arts that I studied from teach using kentic energy from the ground, momentum (powerful swing), leg and back muscles (even a 'puny' person's back muscles are going to be several times stronger than your bisceps), and sometimes gravity when making a strike... using your arms only to direct the weapon (or hands) to the target. Arms should contribute to no strength in the attack. But there are more than simply strikes. There are fakes and denial of targets as well as important distance (positional) factors that must be considered. Above all, nothing's worth knowing without having pre-set reactions to take the intative.

On top of this, in my study, strength is less than an advantage, but a disadvantage. Often strength produces a false feeling of security. Though I am yet to confirm this, I have been told that a person with large muscles are more vulnerable to pressure points (amongst other things). I would be more confident fighting a super body builder than a young girl who looks to know what she's doing and believes (or knows) I'm better.

Being 'weaker' can be a significant advantage in combat. [Me] Being 5'5" and 140 lbs., and doing a "push wrestling" exercise with a man 6'3" and almost 300 lbs. was quite an experience. I almost won, except I didn't know "on the line" meant "out". Which is how he got me (my heel was touching the line). I discovered from my teacher that this exercise was all about proper stance. Why, the guy's gut was almost covering me, and he simply "leaned" on me, but the stance shown by my teacher held him up there. In fact, I was in the ring for 10 minutes, speaking aloud as he's pushing saying, "Hmm... nope... gotta try something else."

Its really remarkable at how little strength can matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martial arts movie [ 4 Answers ]

About 15 to 20 years ago I saw a movie which I can no longer recall the name of. The movie was about 5 or 6 guys who used to be in the same military unit together- who come together to help save a town or what not. Of the characters I can remember- one was drunk living in a salvage yard, one was a...

Martial art action movie 90's (complete plot) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here, but as I've read very difficult requests being answered on this site I got confident that you'll be able to answer mine I saw this movie in 1991 or 1992 on videotape from tv-recording So it might be a couple of years older Non-chinese, its USA with hollywood actors but don't...

New martial artist [ 6 Answers ]

So I'm trying to teach myself some manner of martial arts since I can't go to any nearby schools due to schedule conflicts. So I'm looking for any advice for training and whatnot as well as if you know of any DVD's that are actually effective for learning a martial art without a teacher. I do plan...

Martial arts [ 1 Answers ]

Wich form of martial arts is most effective in strikeing with hands and teaches the student hand speed,accuracy, agility,and stress speed. If there is not such form of martial arts would the reader please tell me wich form of martails arts would suit me best. Also would you tell me the best way to...

Pre-martial sex [ 14 Answers ]

I Am A Christian Women (51) I've Been Dating A Christian Man (52) For 10 Months, I Have Decided Not To Marry For 6 Years Or When My Children Are Finished With High School. My Problem Is That He Gave Me A Promise Ring And We Had Sex... Now I'm Feeling Guilty That I Didn't Obey God And Wait The 6...

View more questions Search