Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahmed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2004, 06:43 AM
    The effect of saline water on the growth of trees
    Hello, my dear

How are you? I am very gladeful if your are in a position to provide me some scientific information about the effect of saline water (12 dS/m) on the total nitrogen, amount of proline, total chlorophyll of three desert trees (Prosopis cineraria, Acacia tortilis and Ziziphus spina-christi).

With the best regard,

Ahmed
    aspire82 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Soil Scientist
    I don't know much about those three species in general, but I can tell you that once you have EC values above 4 you start a soil officially has salinity problems. In terms of nutrient availability, salts are composed of a cation and an anion (Na+ Cl-) and often times, saline soils are also sodic (too much Na+) Having too much sodium makes necessary cations less competitive for uptake and causes nutrient deficiencies.
    It looks like you have some pretty saline soils with values at 12 ds. Salt accumulation becomes visible around values of 20, sometimes less, sometimes more, so unless those plants are specifically salt tolerant, you will have some problems. Also, you can easily flush the soil free of these salts. Just water it, salts dissolve very easily and are very soluble.

I hope this was of some assistance. If you have any more questions, especially soil specific ones, let me know.

- Tony Orozco

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ventury effect [ 4 Answers ]

What does ventury effect means aspesially if it occurs during nebulization using a jet nebulizer? Thank you for the answer

Venturi effect [ 1 Answers ]

How is working the Venturi effect?

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Principle of double effect [ 4 Answers ]

The principle of double effect in the corporate world: what does the catholic church means by the notiona of principle of double effect. Please give me an an example as well.. Thanks

View more questions Search