Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Questionable Pharmacy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
    HIPAA Violation in Pharmacy
    I was at Target yesterday and inquired why one of my prescriptions was not filled. The technician said one second and went to talk to the pharmacist. She was speaking from the back of the pharmacy and said Mr. Bowman I see where this presription (the actual name) and this prescription (actual name) was filled on these days. I was horrified. Several other customers were around at this point and heard her give out this information. I told her I would check it and get back with her, since I was embarrassed. She then went into a spill about my history there with the pharmacy. I left. I then returned a few mintues later after speaking with my mother on the phone. She told me to go back and ask to complete a HIPAA form. When I went back and asked her she said that she didn't have one. That I would have to go online. She asked me what it was about and I asked her why she was yelling my information out loud when she knew everyone could here her. It was almost like she was trying to embarrass me with the information. She said that she was sorry and that she did nothing wrong. What can I do about this? Was she breaking HIPAA violations?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2007, 02:06 PM
    It might have been indiscreet, but I'm not sure that it was a HIPAA violation. Other people might have overheard, but it's not like she actually gave your information to anyone else. And, frankly, no one else is as interested in us as we think that they are, so it's unlikely that anyone else around really paid any attention to the announcement once they realized it wasn't their name being called.
    imbrz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
    I was a patient in the local Emergency Room where I work. As a patient I gave information on all medications I was prescribed and the name of the pharmacy I use. I was not informed or gave permission for the ER to contact this or any pharmacy to get the names of medications or the amounts prescribed and by which doctor they were prescribed from.
    breannaL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
    This is a Hipaa violation and should be reported. I work for a pharmacy and this is a violation of the hipaa law. Good Luck.
    cadams0816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
    I had two prescriptions filled at a pharmacy. I checked out at the main store checkout line because I had around $90 of other store items. (I did not realize it at the time but the checker did not scan my prescriptions). A couple days later someone from the pharmacy (this someone knows my family personally, as her sister is my ex-sis-in-law) called my grandmother (who is not on my contact list-my number is the only number to contact) and told her that I had left the store without paying for my prescriptions. I am an adult, my grandmother is not on my contact and I am not on her insurance. My grandmother did not know that I had prescriptions or that I had even been to the doctor, all which is MY business. Did this pharmacy employee violate HIPPA by contacting her?
    diwata17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
    A pharmacist faxed a doctor for refill request who without checking had 2 different patients name with their medication request. The doctor without checking okayed and faxed the request to the pharmacy. A technician typed and filled them and a pharmacist verified them. However, the patient did not pick them up so meds were returned back to stock. Was there a hippaa violation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

Hipaa violation at Pharamcy [ 3 Answers ]

Can a patient pick up a prescription after the Pharmacy is closed given that the rest of the store is still open? Can a person say a patients name via intercom? Such as: "John Smith, your prescription is ready"? :cool:

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search