Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Jul 1, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Montgomery wards credit card fraud
    I recently found out (this month-July) that my credit account with Montgomery Wards was used to charge over eight hundred dolllars when I had a UPS post office box in Nixa, Missouri back in August of last year.

At the time I was residing in a motel in Branson, Mo (nearly 65 miles away) for two and a half months. As we had clothing, cooking gear, toiletry, etc. in that small room we did not have any space to put eight hundred dollars worth of items.

I also found out that my account number was changed as of August 2006 until last week when I pointed that out to their customer service. I should be paid off on the original bill is there any way that I can prove them wrong and not make a fool of myself coming back at them almost a year later? (I have made every monthly payment except in August of last year while homeless.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:59 AM
    File a dispute with them, report ID theft to the police and get the report number, send it also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 06:11 AM
    I'm confused. You didn't notice your bill jumping by $800?

Jul 2, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Believe it or not, I did not notice this particular bill rising. I had other things going on in my life and have nearly paid all of the others off.

I do have every statement from December 2004 to date and none of them mentions an order in August of 2006. I do not know how I would have known if it wasn't on my statement and I did not order anything. Why would I expect anything if there was no mention in my bill?

Jul 2, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Ok, this is still confusing. You say the balance jumped but there is nothing on the statemente to indicate why it jumped? I would point that out. But your major problem is going to be that you didn't catch it for so long.

Jul 2, 2007, 07:30 PM
    My payments did not change from the usual $20.00. Which company that you know of would let a customer continue paying $20.00 on a $800.00 and something charge on their account? I also have other credit cards and do not need to force anyone to think that I am trying to get out of paying my bills... I have a good credit history, own my own home, etc.

As I mentioned before, the account statements did not have a mention of an $800.00 charge. How would someone go about knowing that their creditor is cheating them without that? Especially if the monthly payments kept going down? ( Hundreds of dollars below $800.00)

At this point I only know that something is terribly wrong with my account and that I had better at least find out what should or should have happened with this situation. Sometimes things happen (believe it or not) that are against the norm.

Worst case scenario... I will have to pay it, but I have a right to try to figure this out.. no matter how strange the situation might seem.

Jul 3, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by UsBlkgal
    As I mentioned before, the account statements did not have a mention of an $800.00 charge. How would someone go about knowing that their creditor is cheating them without that?
    Someone would look at the balance not just the payment due. But I agree your payment should have gone up, $20 shouldn't have been enough to cover the interest on a balance of over $800.

So I would send MW a letter with copies of all your statements from the one prior to the alleged charge, to date. Show them that the $800 was never listed on the statements, that your minimum payments never increased. Point out that you were nowhere near the store at the time the alleged purchases took place. Tell them a mistake has been made on their part. I would further tell them that since you didn't report it immediately, you are willing to pay the $50 that you would be responsible for under law, but no more that that. End the letter by telling them you expect your balance to be adjusted with the next statement. Send this letter Return receipt so you have proof of delivery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit fraud [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I recently found out after pulling a free credit report that someone opened 4 credit cards with high balances and attempted to open 5 others all within 3 months. Well, we just found out it is HIS MOTHER that used his information to open and use these accounts by purchasing stuff...

Spousal credit card fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I applied for a credit card in my husbands name and then used it to transfer all of our high interest credit cards onto. He had no knowledge of this in any way. He has since found out and is of course livid. The credit card company knows that he did not apply for this card and that it was myself...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Credit Card fraud [ 8 Answers ]

I paid off a credit card last yr and 3-4 months later the credit card company reopened my account without my consent. I later had to get my credit report pulled to then realize that I was 30 days late for payment. Automatically a red flag went up because I never pay my bills late and guess what,...

Credit fraud? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife recently told me she doesn't want to be married anymore and I can accept that. I also found out she took out a half dozen credit cards in my name and charged up to $25,000.00. Even though we are still married is there any legal action I can take in the state of New Jersey.

View more questions Search