Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephen9519 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Stock Split and Stock Dividend Differentiated
    What are the differences between the accounting and securities market between the 2 methods of increasing the number of shares outstanding. The 2 methods are stock splits and stock dividends.
    cowgirl3194 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 07:00 PM
    In stock split and stock dividend, what is the difference between the accounting and security market in these two methods of increasing the number of shares outstanding?
    bhet Posts: 77, Reputation: 9

Jul 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
    the primary difference betwwen the two is that, in stock dividend, the company issues new shares of stock as a dividend to increase the shares issued. While in stock split, the company doesn't issue stocks, but rather they change the par value of the stock say you own 250 shares, 100 par and the company issued 2-1 stock split, you will now own 500 shares with 50 par. So technically, the company did not issue any new shares, they just lowered the par value and increased the shares issued.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock? What would the journal entry by? I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit. Please Help

Stock Split and Stock Dividend [ 3 Answers ]

The common stock of Alexander Hamilton Inc. is currently selling at $120 per share. The directors wish to reduce the share price and increase share volume prior to a new issue. The per share par value is $10; book value is $70 per share. Nine million shares are issued and outstanding. Prepare...

Common stock and dividend [ 2 Answers ]

1) An issue of common stock has just paid a dividend of $3.75. Its growth rate is 8%. What is its price if the market's rate of return is 16? a. 25.01 b. 46.88 c. 50.63 d. none of the above I have many more questions that I need answered by this weekend. I am willing to pay $ for this....

Stock Dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate a stock dividend?

Stock dividend/ stock split? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Let's say if my company began 1 Jan 2006 with 200,000 shares of $1 par value common stock outstanding. The stockholders equity is as follows: Stockholders equity Capital stock: Ordinary share, $1 par value, 1,000,000 shares authorized, 200,000 shares issued and

View more questions Search