Ask
    shhadavi1370 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
    What does Buddhism believe in?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
    That Buddha is the one true god as far as I know which sounds reasonable under the circumstances. Anyway, wasn't he contempary with Jesus.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 06:35 PM
    How to convert to Buddhism - Buddhism - Helium

This is an article I wrote. This may help you.
    ladycbigdiva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
    That there is no personal God who creates everything and to whom prayers can be directed.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 18, 2007, 08:26 PM
    At its purest level, essentially nothing (a loaded word, possibly open for misinterpretation), for enlightenment -- which is the ultimate goal -- is beyond dualistic conceptions or "beliefs." Though if you wish to understand the essential teachings, practices, or codes of conduct, simply "Google" for many great websites explaining such. :)
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
    tickle,

Sorry, that was meant to be disagree.

Agrees: Buddha is not and never claimed to be a God.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion and the underlying theme seems to be……..

You have the right to live your life any way you want so long as you do not deliberately hurt yourself or anyone else in the process.
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Jul 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Modern Buddhism believes that there is no God and that the power of the universe will help them. That the power is within them, and they chant this chant, which is supposed to fulfill them. Someone gave us a magazine which talked about their beliefs, haven't read it much though.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Gautama Buddha was the founder of what we know as Buddhism, a spiritual tradition that is recognized throughout the world as one of compassion, peace, and understanding.
    He is not considered a "GOD".
    matthew54 Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Buddhism doesn't answer whether there is a God or not, however there is a belief in higher beings or you could say gods. The term Buddha means one who is awake, the world that people perceive is an illusion. Delusions are desires, and attachments that prevent people from experiencing bliss, or super conscienceness. When a person has achieved enlightment from all delusions they can experience supreme happiness, and be free from all suffering. A true peace, that is not dependent on external circumstances is obtained. This in Buddhist terms is gained through virteous living, practicing Dharma, regular meditation, and loving kindness. Loving kindness not only for friends or family, or people that a person likes, but for all living beings whether they are known to there mind or not. The source of happiness is within the mind, for example if you go to a beautiful beach, it is not the beach that makes you happy, but it is your state of mind that creates the happiness.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
    “The test of a religion or philosophy is the number of things it can explain.”—American 19th-century poet Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Hindu gods Indra and Brahma reportedly begged the Buddha to tell his newly found truths to others. He set out to do so. Although retaining Hinduism's tolerant attitude that all religions have merit.

The Historian Will Durant wrote about the question, ”what is Nirvana”: “It is difficult to find an erroneous answer to this question,” …for the Master left the point obscure, and his followers have given the word every meaning under the sun.”… “There is no single Buddhist view,” and The Encyclopedia of Religion agrees… for it “varies with the culture, the historical period, the language, the school, and even the individual.”
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Aug 31, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by METERRE
    Modern Buddhism believes that there is no God and that the power of the universe will help them. That the power is within them, and they chant this chant, which is supposed to fulfill them. Someone gave us a magazine which talked about their beliefs, haven't read it much though.
    Apparently, :p I'm a Buddhist and didn't even know it!
    karenkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Does Buddha judge?
    mysticman72 Posts: 56, Reputation: 10

May 2, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shhadavi1370 View Post
    That is a very broad question and not so easy to answer. There are several main branches of Buddhism that believe and practice different things. Can you be more specific?
    mysticman72 Posts: 56, Reputation: 10

May 2, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karenkc View Post
    Does Buddha judge?
    No. Karma is the judge in Buddhism. The Buddha was the teacher, not the judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buddhism, Christanity and their beliefs [ 29 Answers ]

I am very confused. I believe in God and Jesus Christ being reborn and that he died for our sins. I am told that I cannot fully enter Buddhism because (1) Buddha is considered to be a false God in Christianity and (2) I want to enter Buddhism but keep my Christian faith both elements full blown....

Buddhism question [ 13 Answers ]

I have been studying the dharma, and have recently finished reading the tibetan book of the dead. They say if we are an enlightened individual we will be liberated, and are born no more. But most of us are born again either in a god like realm, or as a human again, or an animal, a hungry ghost or...

Buddhism [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know a little bit about buddhism. I am not a buddhist but someone left a very nice buddha statue and what appears to be two lion statues at my door. Also along with these they left other little statues of buddha in different poses and on the bottom of them it reads wealth, money,...

Buddhism Religion [ 2 Answers ]

What are historical figures and events for Buddhism?

Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism [ 1 Answers ]

What are some historical figures and events of Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism?

View more questions Search