Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Savage328 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Forced to Move
    My family and I are renting a home, we have only been in the house since the beginning of June. Put down a security deposit along with 1st months rent. Now, we find out that the house is being foreclosed. We have been told to vacate the property. We have asked the landlord for the security deposit back. He has informed us that he cannot give it back to us in a lump sum, oh, and by the way he has filed for bankruptcy. What rights do we have as tenants, if any?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Hire an attorney, this smells of fraud
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Jun 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Once the landlord filed for bankruptcy, he is now a protected class and you are a creditor. I don't see fraud here, it is just an unfortunate occurrence. I wish I had better advice for you. If he is offering to give the money back take him up on it. Try to get as much money back as quickly as possible.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Foreclosue process does take more then 30 day, if they move in on the 1st of JUne that he landlord knew of it.

Bankruptcy the landlord knew he was going to file it, it appears that the landlord knew of all of this and intended to take their money anyway.

Most states if over a $1000 dollar it is consider fraud when you cheat someone.

Landlord accept money and present a contract to them with no intention to honor the contract. Fraud.

If it were me I would file criminal charges.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2007, 04:13 AM
    I agree with Mr Yet. The timing of this indicates fraud. Its barely possible the landlord thought getting a tenant would help forestall foreclosure and bankruptcy, but the timing is too short.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forced into adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to ask you my friend who was a minor at the time was forced into adoption by her aunt who bribed her . Her mother was not around when she signed her parental rights over the catch the rights were sighned over on there table at their house the notary was the uncles cousin The aunt told the...

How to get over someone when your forced to be alone [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I just found out that my girlfriend is cheating on me? How? She called on accident and I heard "YEAH" Anyway I am OK during the day when I sleep and am with people but I work nights as a security guard alone and I was just needing some advice to get through the night while being forced...

Forced into another position [ 4 Answers ]

I have a two fold issue. I was hired in a purchasing position, but due to lay offs and employees quiting they are trying to force me into a warehouse position. I will be in an air conditioned office in the warehouse, but will still be required to do many things in the warehouse where the...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search