Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 03:50 AM
    Statutes of Limitation of Debt Collection FYI
    Statutes of Limitations on Debt Collection:

Are you being hounded by a debt collector for an old debt you thought was written off years ago? If so, it is likely you are being contacted by a scavenger debt collector, which is a company that purchases older, mostly uncollectible debt for a tiny fraction of its value. Scavenger debt collectors are notorious for using illegal and unethical methods to collect "time-barred" debt.

You do not have to pay debt that is considered too old by your state. Every state has laws governing the time in which a person or entity can file suit to collect a debt. Generally, a creditor or debt collector gives up his right to file suit to collect a debt after a period of six years from the time the debt was written off (or the date of last activity on your credit report), but various states allow anywhere from 2 to 15 years to collect delinquent debt (see statutes of limitation table below).

The purpose of these statutes of limitation is to bring some measure of fairness to the debtor so that he / she (1) will not have to worry about being sued for the rest of their lives; and (2) so that the debtor can properly defend himself with fresh evidence and witnesses, if any.

This doesn't mean that a creditor cannot file suit against you after the statute of limitations has expired; however, if a creditor or debt collector does file suit, you can ask the judge to dismiss the suit on the grounds that the statute of limitations has expired. In fact, if the statute of limitations is about to run on debt you owe, don't be surprised if you suddenly hear from a collection agency threatening to sue if you don't pay immediately.

If a debt collector contacts you regarding an old debt, do not admit that you owe the debt and do not agree to make any payments. Simply tell them that the "statute of limitations has run on this debt and do not contact me again". If they continue contacting you, send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, telling them not to contact you about the debt again. Remember -- DO NOT ADMIT THAT YOU OWE THE DEBT, DO NOT AGREE TO PAY THE DEBT, AND DO NOT AGREE TO SEND ANY MONEY TO THEM. If you do, then the statute of limitations might start running all over again, giving them the legal right to sue you.

NOTE: Credit Cards are usually considered to be an OPEN ACCOUNT.

LINK TO SOL BY STATE: (Thank you RickJ)
    Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Excellent information!

As long as reader understand this is a form of protection. Not a means of avoiding payment of legitimate debt.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collection [ 1 Answers ]

I am being asked to pay a debt that is 15 years old. In 1992 I supposedly asked for assistance from social assistance to get money while awaiting for unemployment insurance. I have received a letter form social assistance asking for over 3000.00 dollars. I spoke to the woman who sent me the letter...

Debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

Wondering if there was a time limit a business can collect on a debt. I received a bill from and urgent care facility from jan. 3, 2005. All this time thought insurance pd it. Now we don't even have the same insurance company they said it cannot be sent to secondary because primary did not respond...

Statutes of limitation [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering, I live in ontario, and recently after close to a decade a financial institution has sent a collection agency after me for a debt I paid a close to a decade ago. Its not for a lot of money, but I feel I should not pay anything. Now the collection has a law firm after me saying they...

Debt collection [ 7 Answers ]

Does any one know if I'm responsible for my 20 year old sons dentist bill if he no longer lives with me but I had insurance on him till he quit school?Can a debt collector go after me? Because that what's happening but I don't think I should be responsible for my dead beat son any help? Thanks!

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

View more questions Search