Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mzamanm Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2007, 12:16 AM
    Name Of A Yoga Asan
    Can someone Please Inform Me If A Yoga Asan With The Name Of "Pasechi Moten" Exists.
    Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Didn't find anything so far. Are you sure that the spellings and everything are correct concerning your question?

Jun 29, 2007, 05:10 AM
    I Think That It's all right but I'm told that it is the name of a Yoga Asan.Can Someone Confirm With Authoritative References.
    Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
    It exists. Although the spelling of it would appear to vary somewhat.

I would think that information from the following site might be considered to be somewhat authoritative. Yoga and meditation - Search

Here is a quote from that site.

1. Paschimotanasana
    (Asanas or Postures/Asanas or Postures Items)
    ... Paschimotanasana: Stretch the legs like sticks on the ground. Grasp the toes. Rest your forehead on the knees. THE NOMENCLATURE Paschimotanasan is derived from the Sanskrit words 'Paschima' meaning 'posterior', 'back' or 'behind'; 'Uttana' referring to stretching out' and 'Asana', of course, connoting 'Posture'. Therefore 'Paschimotana' basically means stretching out the posterior portions of your body.

Also, I found the information on this link from that site to be particularly informative. Yoga and meditation - Paschimotanasana

It is also mentioned frequently as Paschimotanasan while performing the following search. Paschi-motan-asan - Google Search You might like to check out the sites on the that search.

The following quotes are from the following site: eyogateacher - A site for learning yoga online I don't know that I would call it an authoritative reference. But, at at least something along the lines for what you are looking is mentioned.

Please see that which I have bolded in red.

10-How are Yoga postures classified ?
    We saw that the no of classical postures are 84 in number and they are classified in the following five broad categories :

1) Sitting Meditative Postures e.g. : Padmasan ( Lotus posture )
    2) Forward bending postures e.g.. Paschi-motan-asan ( Sitting forward bend )
    3) Backward bending postures e.g. . Dhanur-asan ( Bow )
    4) Twisting postures e.g.. Ardha Matsyendra –asan ( Half spinal twist )
    5) Balancing postures e.g.. Kak-asan ( Crow )

These five categories are only indicative in nature and we need not strictly hold on to it . So when ever we do yoga practice we must see to it that our practice has the postures of the above 5 categories . The 12 Basic postures as designed by Swami Vishnu devananda has all the postures that fit in to the above 5 category and hence is a complete system of exercise in itself .

The basis on which the postures are classified is in the way the spine is getting manipulated and exercised completely .It is not only at the spinal level but also at the muscular level the entire muscular system is toned .

The 12 Basic Postures are :

1) Headstand ( Siras –asan )

2) Shoulder Stand ( Sarva –anga-asan)

3) Plough ( Hal-asan )

4) Fish ( Matsy-asan )

5) Sitting Forward Bend ( Paschi-Motan-asan )

6) Cobra ( Bhujan-asan)

7) Locust ( Shalab-asan )

8) Bow ( Dhanur-asan )

9) Half Spinal twist ( Ardha-Matsya-asan )

10) Crow ( Kak-asan ) , Peacock ( Mayur-asan)

11) Standing Forward Bend ( Pada-Hatsa-asan )

12) Triangle ( Trikon-asan )

Jun 29, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Thanks. It Helped Me a lot.Thanks again.
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Dec 23, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamanm
    Can someone Please Inform Me If A Yoga Asan With The Name Of "Pasechi Moten" Exists.
    Thanks
    It is pash-chi-mottaa-naa-sa-na = पश्चिमोत्तानासन
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 05:27 AM
    I am hopeful that mzamanm will come back to view any further responses to the question, since mzamanm has not so much as logged back onto this site since September 3, 2007 at 09:34 P.M.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Need Info About Yoga [ 1 Answers ]

Hello people. My name is Clive. I am new to this forum and I am getting into yoga... I was checking out this site Ashiyana Yoga Retreat Centre and I came across SATSANG... I would like to know more about this subject... can someone please give me more info about this topic for me. Please do...

Can anyone interpret "Asan Un Nefer" [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone interpret "Asan Un Nefer"

Basic Yoga [ 1 Answers ]

Give me an idea of where to start beginning yoga poses and stretches. I am thinking about startng yoga. Thanks!

Yoga levels of meditation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please give a good basic explanation of the types and levels of Yoga meditation?

View more questions Search