Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Left calf cramp
    Basically once a week or so my left calf muscle cramps up severely. It always happens during sleep to violently wake me up. I have a banana a day so I don't think it's due to lack of potassium. I walk a lot, but other than that... any idea why?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Are you on any meds? A banana is great, but there are other foods out there than can aid in giving you potassium such as Kewi (has more potassium than bananas, but is a little expensive), orange juice, etc.

Some meds though will cause cramping. I am curious about your calcium too. Too much calcium can cause this.

Jun 28, 2007, 09:52 PM
    I have kiwis every other day. I drink about three 8 oz glasses a day. I am not on an meds. I take a "Men's One-A-Day" pill. And some orange juice.
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jul 11, 2007, 06:32 PM
    That happens to me on occasions as I play tennis competitively. Does your job entail walking or do you participate in sports related activities which can cause muscle exhaustion?

Jul 12, 2007, 12:41 AM
    I'm in nursing school and we stand around a lot... but nothing extreme, you know?
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jul 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
    That's pretty strange because usually when someone gets a cramp it is a strain of the muscle. Basically from what I know is that calf cramps occur also when you get dehydrated, essentials salts are somewhat depleted or there is a restriction of blood flow

What you should do is find out the cause of the injury by consulting a doctor. Without medical treatment it may get worse. Stretch the leg regularly and you can ask someone to massage it.

Also diet plays an important role. As I said depletion of essential salt, potassium, magnesium and calcium would cause severe muscle spasms/cramps.
    sunit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Did you ever get this resolved? My son & I are having the same problem.

We're fine when we go to bed, and then we wake up sore in the left calf just above
    The achilles... weird!

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nothing is left [ 8 Answers ]

I've tried explaining my feelings to friends and they say that I am making up excuses and I can't explain the way that I feel but I would never wish this kind of life on anyone even if I hated them. I don't understand what I have done to deserve my life... no matter what I do, it is wrong, last...

Brain Cramp [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help jar my memory with this one? There was a black male artist whom I first saw on Video Soul hosted by Donnie Simpson during the 80's or 90's. I cannot remember the song title or artist's name. He had dreadlocks and sang this slow song by a swimming pool. I believe this was a one hit...

Severe leg cramp [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: hey, so a few days ago I got woke up in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps in my right calf, I never get leg cramps,the next morning my leg was extremely sore like I had did a million leg raises or something, now after that when I have been waking up in the morning the same...

Used? Being left? Help! [ 9 Answers ]

OK

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater if it works or doesn't if someone does write back.:(

View more questions Search