Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RidingGirl13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 03:13 PM
    English or Western?
    I am starting horse back riding in about a week. I don't know if I want to do English or Western riding though. What are the main differences between the two? Which one is more fun. And for Western do you have to wear the boots?
    Equestrian Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2005, 02:20 PM
    I highly suggest english!! it is much more work but in the long run u have so much farther to go rather tehn in western u just kidna get to the end more quick... especailly if u jump... u can keep going for ever trying to jump bigger fences... I personaly hate western... I think its boring... english is sooo much more fun... I love jumping... anbd in english u go faster... well that's my opinion~! =!!
    ~*~courtney :) :D
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 6, 2005, 10:22 PM
    Hello,
    Try both, I ride western and I love it, some will say that it take no skill. This is not true. Try pole bending, barrel racing, or team penning with no skill, Ha. I started my daughter riding western as she grew she fell in love with English riding. They are both an art they are both fun and no you do not have to wear boot, just some thing with a small heal on your shoe. If you are going to take lesson be sure to choose a place that not only teaches you the art of riding but the art of horse care which is far more important than riding. I hope this was in some way helpful to you.
    Jumper13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 07:18 AM
    I'll tell u that English is hard but it's fun.I ride both so I there both fun.So try them both before u make a decision and see which one u and the horse are most comfortable in. I've rode for a while. So do what u like don't be pressured into it otherwise u won't like it. :p Always have fun.
    tenis4kr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingGirl13
    I am starting horse back riding in about a week. I don't know if I want to do English or Western riding though. What are the main differences between the two? Which one is more fun. and for Western do you have to wear the boots?
    Well I tried both of them and chose dressage! I went from western pleasure, to eventing and now to dressage. You can see my transgression at Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center
    horse101 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Try both. What do you want to do in horseback riding? If you want to do dressage, jumping or cross country, go with english. If you want to do reining, calf roping or barrel racing, go with western. I ride english in the arena and western out on the trails. They are both fun. English requires more balance than western and in wetern riding you control the horse with one hand instead of two. You need riding boots for both. In english you would generally wear breeches and tall boots but jeans and shorst boots are fine for now. In western all you wear are jeans and short boots. In an english show you would need a fitted shirt, fitted jacked, breeches, gloves, and tall boots. In a western show you would need a fancy shirt/ jacket, jeans/chaps, and short boots. Good luck!
    Kerrison Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
    It really depends on what it is that you want to do long term. Are you in it for competitions? If so, what kind of competitions? Jumping? Barrels? You might not even know what you want to do until you try them both!

If you just want to go on trail rides with friends, it doesn't matter which discipline you pick; you can trail ride no matter what style you ride!

I would suggest going to some horse shows. Go to one English show- a 3day event or combined trainign event will give you a good look at most aspects of english. You'll see Dressage (my favorite and what I ride) and show jumping (which some hunters/jumpers do) and then cross country which is its own unique sport. Other than Hunter Equitation (which is just the art of looking pretty in the english saddle) you would see all english disciplines at one of those shows.
    Then go to a western Gymkhana- they'll have barrel racing, and roping, and penning, they'll do some western-pleasure classes (like hunter equitation but for a western rider) and maybe some silly stuff like an Egg&spoon, etc.

If you go to these shows, you'll see the various disciplines/styles and be able to watch the things you can grow into doing.
    romy Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
    English is more competitive & a lot better!!
    Shakespear Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Some people believe that western is safer because there is more of a saddle in western and the paces are slower and you can't jump in western. I ride english and personally like it a lot better. Ive tried western and found it A lot harder because I've been riding english my whole life so its easier for me. It does have a faster pace and jumping.
    RissG Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2008, 08:50 PM
    I'm going to have to go with everyone else here, try both. Hell, while you're at it, try Aussie, Sidesaddle, and Dressage as well. There's so many options out there... but it really depends on what you want out of riding. If you're the disciplined, like-to-dress-up type (like me, when I'm riding), you might really love Dressage. If you're the disciplined, strong, little-more-rough-and-ready type, hunter/jumper might be up your alley. If you're the rowdy, fun-loving type, then the opportunities that await you in Western might be better suited for you. But it would certainly be better to become knowledgeable in both disciplines, as much of the knowledge crosses over.
    eaas123 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 01:03 PM
    English 100% as there is a lot more of a varitey of disciplines to choose from such as,show jumping,dressage,Polo and eventing and with that style of riding you can go much further.
    chsracowgirl182 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2009, 10:01 AM

I ride western have my whole life. And I love it. I barrel race, pole bend, goat ty, team penn and some other things on occasion, there are SO many different disiplines you can do in western riding. But find what is right for you
    lori_1234 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

May 19, 2009, 01:55 PM

I have to agree 100% with equestrian. English is way better! I absolutely dispise western. I would get into jumping with english it is so much fun!
    moosedagoose Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Start on western. I ride English and I love it! It does take a bit of work though. You really have to develop your leg muscles and be able to do 2 point for a long time. Try both and see which one you like.
    TopHorse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
    Hey people it is not fair that people say that western takes no work and english does. Anyone who says that is a jerk. Western is a heck of a lot better so why don't you just shut up. So western is the top dog and I HATE english. Western was here first and english just pushed its way in and western has a heck of a lot of history which interesting and english zero. All english has is a bunch or godd race horses that die at the peak of their success. So jerks just shut up because western rules!!
    megs2245 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:45 AM
    in my opinion i would choose english cos there is so much to do and i particularly hate western and i want to just destroy every western saddle and bridle and you can go so far in english and in western it is just kindov get on gallop so i choose english!!!!
    HorseAphobic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 10:31 AM
    [Umm. I would say english.. Even though the saddle you ride is diff its more secure in the stirrup and jumping is fun! And RissG, sidesaddle is sort of like abusing the horse It hurts them. Don't try that but dressage and jumping is fun!
    /) ___ /)
    O o
    m
    \_____/ or other wise :)
    stcet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RissG View Post
    I'm going to have to go with everyone else here, try both. Hell, while you're at it, try Aussie, Sidesaddle, and Dressage as well. There's so many options out there...but it really depends on what you want out of riding. If you're the disciplined, like-to-dress-up type (like me, when I'm riding), you might really love Dressage. If you're the disciplined, strong, little-more-rough-and-ready type, hunter/jumper might be up your alley. If you're the rowdy, fun-loving type, then the opportunities that await you in Western might be better suited for you. But it would certainly be better to become knowledgable in both disciplines, as much of the knowledge crosses over.
    Just for your information dressage is part of english riding.

I love English riding, I love riding dressage and doing several jumps every once in awhile, but personally I do believe that it really depends on what you like personally. Try both possibly! But, if you want my opinion.. do english (;
    rideforlove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Megs2245, that is incredibly ignorant and close minded. Get on and gallop? Grow up. There are a wide variety of disciplines such as: western pleasure, trail, roping, barrel racing, reining, equitation, team penning, pole bending, and many others. While I grew up riding western, I am now doing english. Both are great and both have many options for you to pursue.
    horseluver999 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
    I've been riding western my whole life so I think it's easier but you know I have to agree with everybody else try both, you may start doing english and then over the years you might like barrel racing and then fall in love with western so you know what ? Try both you may start with one and find out you really love the other

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Western Civilization I [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking Western Civ I and the question is Trace the stages in transition from a nomadic to an agriculture society. Can someone please help.:confused:

Western [ 3 Answers ]

Any of you fans of western movies seen one from the 70's in which I think it's luke askew whose wife is raped in a barn right on the main street and he is shot; the wife eventually takes up with the attacker who kidnaps her and holds her hostage or something like that?

Western Civilization [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking western civilization and the question asks to" trace the stages in transition from a nomadic to an agriculture society."

Western Civilization 1 [ 1 Answers ]

Question: Compare and contrast the basic teachings of Stoicism and Epicureanism. Which philosophy do you prefer and why?

Western civilization [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 really hard questions that I need a lot of help on. I know there is a lot here but what ever help you can give me would be great! Thanks! Here they are: 1. What were the defining features of the Renaissance and how was it different from the preceding era of the middle ages? 2. Why...

View more questions Search