Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssscholz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Shower knobs leaking water
    I can not stop the hot and cold water knobs in my shower from leaking water when turned on. I even replaced the complete stem unit ( think called a cartridge). Did I forget to do something?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssscholz
    I can not stop the hot and cold water knobs in my shower from leaking water when turned on. I even replaced the complete stem unit ( think called a cartridge). Did I forget to do something?

Under the cover plate is a brass nut that secures the stem and washer assembly. This is called the bonnet packing nut. This nut compresses the bonnet packing around the stem and prevents water from leaking from around the stem when the valve's open. To adjust this you will have to remove the knob and the cover plate. Now replace the knob temporarily and open it until water begans to leak around the stem. Now snug down the nut until the leak stops. Do not over tighten as this will cause the stem to turn hard, stop tightening when the leak stops. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Shower Pan Leaking - rain water coming in [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 problems here, shower pan leaking, (plumber verified) also rain water coming in through same wall where the shower pan leak is. I just moved in to a one story Villa, a couple of months ago. I noticed that it was starting to smell musty, I moved some furniture and saw that the...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

Water leaking out of shower head. [ 6 Answers ]

When I pull the diverter valve up the shower works fine, then I push it down I get a continuous stream of water out of the shower head. If I don't turn the shower on it takes about 2 minutes. For the water to get to the shower head while I am filling up the bath. Could this be a bad diverter valve?

View more questions Search