Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveh82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Advice needed with taxes
    Right this is a fairly complicated matter but here goes.

Firstly I am a British/Australian citizen (I have lived in Australia for the last 10 years). I am currently in nyc on a B1 visa until the end of July, I will be coming back sometime in August on a E1 visa and staying for a longer period. The company I work for is based in nyc, however I spend about 50% of my time in nj working with clients.

Basically the tax system confuses me :confused: a lot. I was considering living in nj when I move back, because I will be spending 50% of my time there and the rent is a lot cheaper. However I have also heard that I will pay a lot more tax if I do this. Can anyone tell me which would make more financial sense :

Live in nj - pay more tax, pay less rent
    Or
    Live in nyc - pay less tax, pay more rent

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me advice
    David
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 24, 2005, 08:10 AM
    David:

Live in NJ, even though you will work in NY City.

There will be NO impact on your federal income taxes.

As for state, both NJ and NY state will require you file an annual income tax return. Since you work in NY state, you will have to pay NY state taxes (NY state taxes are the taxes that should be withheld from your paycheck). When you prepare your NJ state income tax return, NJ gives you a credit for the NY state income taxes paid. Since NY state tax rates are higher than NJ, in 99% of the cases, the credit will completely eliminate any NJ tax liability.

In fact, In my opinion, most NJ residents who work in NY file their NJ return just to get a small (about $50) rebate for renters or property taxes paid. Were it not for that rebate, a significant amount of NJ residents who work in NY would not even bother to file since they know they actually owe no NJ state income taxes.

BTW, if you do not live in NY City, you will not owe any NY City income taxes.

BOTTOM LINE: Living in NJ and working in NYC will probably cost less, as you pay less in rent, pay NY state taxes, pay NO NJ taxes and pay NO NY city taxes.
    daveh82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Thanks you very much for that advice. I have been trying to find the answer to that question for some time.

You have been a great help
    Thanks
    David
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 24, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Glad to help. Contact me uf you need help preparing your tax return; you'll find my rates very competitive to what you would pay to have them done in NY/NJ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice needed on saving my marriage. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I'll begin by saying that my husband (15 years) was having an emotion affair, but he says he loves me and wants to be happy with me again. I was blind-sided by this happening as I have always felt secure and happy. I'm trying very hard to be understanding as I am deeply in love with...

More advice needed :S [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again. I hate to nag on about this but if anyone has more advice it would be great. I am still finding either some brown discharge or sometimes a bit of blood everyday from about 3 weeks ago whenever I go to the toilet, although not a lot. But the thing is its really bugging me now because its...

Kitten - urgent advice needed [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All, We brought home a stray kitten at the age of 2 weeks. Everything had been all right with him until the time he got about 4 months old. We were about to take him to the vet for the initial vacination when suddenly he started losing hair on his head. There appeared some small verruca like...

Social etiquette advice needed please [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all. This is very much a grey area and I really don't know the correct etiquette for this situation. Last night was my husbands work Christmas party. It was an informal BBQ at his boss's home. It was pre-arranged last week that the wives would each bring 2 salads and 1 dessert. The boss...

Love v. Like Advice Needed [ 4 Answers ]

I need some advice. I have been dating this guy, and find that I am more easily in love, than I am in "like" with him. I shared my feelings last night, and the response was not good. I sent this to him so that he could better understand what I meant when I said I didn't like him: The word...

View more questions Search