Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annamarievo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Birth Certificate
    After the babies & I took the DNA test to prove that "He" is the father, he refused to sign the birth certificate. Is there a law that will make him sign the birth certificate? Thx for your help!
    momtobe949 Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Jun 28, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Well it depends on what state or country you live in, why do you need him to sign the BC? Is it for child support reasons? I am a lawyer and from the cases I have dealt with a DNA test rules over a Birth Certificate, a judge would rather see DNA results depending on what state you live in. As far as I know the biological father has provide by law for the children unless otherwise stated or ruled, again depending what state you live in.
    annamarievo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
    I lived in CA, and I'm not sure what laws will provide! The DNA test is positive. He is the father of my twins. I will have the court appearance on July 12. Do I have the right to ask the judge to order him to sign the BC? I want my girls to have the father name on the BC for future documents. What are your thought?
    momtobe949 Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Jun 28, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Well in California I am not sure that's not my jurisdiction, I don't practice law in that state sorry. As far as I know a judge could order him to sign the BC, if the judge sees fit. I could look into the family law in California let me see what I can come up with. Where I practice law the father has the right to decline to sign a BC, as long as he is providing the minimum child support amount each month.
    Sorry I am not much help I am don't really deal with Family Law, I deal with criminal law.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jun 29, 2007, 01:06 AM
    He doesn't have to sign it for your children to have his last name. Ask the judge to allow a name change of your daughters surname to his. It will be up to the judge whether this will be in the best interest of the children and be granted or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé just left for Iraq this week. We are expecting a baby in November. Since we aren't married how can he be put on the baby's birth certificate?

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

My situation is that when I was 18 years old I was told by a person that was a family friend that the lady who raised me was not my mother. He said he did not know who was my mother but he knew she was not my mother because she told him she was not my mother but did not go into detail. She denied...

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

Birth Certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My son has had his new born baby ever since she was 1 week old and now she is 6 months and he wants his name on her birth certificate how does he go about doing this with out child support?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth to my child but it wasn't my ex husband. We were separated for a while but we didn't get a divorce yet. In child birth certificate, there is no name on the father status because I was still married. Hospital left it blank because I was still married. Now that I'm divorce. I want the...

View more questions Search