Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    If you had dug deeper, you would know that the TEA statistics are under fire for the way they have skewed the numbers to hide the problem of drop out rates, so let me catch you up a bit
    Are ANY official statistics accurate? I doubt it, but I know the dropout rate in Texas is not 50% - and I live in Texas by the way, have all my life. The story you cite says "At least half of all high school students in the state's major cities are dropping out of school."

Even if that were true that's still an important distinction between ALL of Texas students and those in major cities. I know people a lot of you in those major cities forget we're a part of Texas up here, but Texas is a pretty big place with quite a few people that don't live in DFW, San Antonio, Austin and Houston.

and let me clarify another point as the turnover rate for teachers is 50% as of 2006, in Texas, and the ISD's here depends on their funding from the state, and local schools can only administer what the state gives them, and that could use some oversight as well.
    There's that 50% number again, where did that come from and what exactly do you mean by "turnover"? I think we can all agree public education is broken, but I can't buy just any old statistic thrown out there.

As to the Supreme courts new ruling, for now it only applies to the Seattle and Louisiana school systems specifically, and other districts are already on notice to modify there integration policy, as they must use other factors besides race, to determine the make up of schools in their jursdiction. The ruling fixes nothing, and until they get to the root of the problem, which is economics, not race, the problem will grow, as it has in the past.
    It's much more than economics.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
    It's much more than economics.
    Explain please, and by the way I'm in Dallas and this is a hot issue as it will affect you also when you start seeing increased property taxes, and in Dallas, as in most of the big hubs in Texas teachers are hard to keep, just look at the want adds the schools put out, they give anyone who comes to work for them 6 months to be certified as long as they can start now, as well as paying for relocation. Don't think cause you live in the country, you will not be affected in some way. Come on Amarillo this is everyone's problem and you can't bury your head in the sand and say its not. We are all Americans.
    There's that 50% number again, where did that come from and what exactly do you mean by "turnover"? I think we can all agree public education is broken, but I can't buy just any old statistic thrown out there.
    These are the numbers your state legislature is currently working with. Been in all the news for a few weeks now. Denying the problem doesn't solve it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Explain please, and by the way I'm in Dallas and this is a hot issue as it will affect you also when you start seeing increased property taxes,
    Uh, my property taxes have increased 30 percent in the last 3 years so I know all about that, and our governor good promised the "average homeowner will receive a $2000 tax cut." When I say it's much more than economics you should ask a few teachers what it's like to teach in a public school these days. You know, the atmosphere, disciplinary issues, iinsane policies...

and in Dallas, as in most of the big hubs in Texas teachers are hard to keep, just look at the want adds the schools put out, they give anyone who comes to work for them 6 months to be certified as long as they can start now, as well as paying for relocation.
    Everyone has a hard time keeping teachers, and while looking for something to verify your 50% turnover rate I did find something that said Philadelphia had a 70 percent turnover rate over six years... but nothing on this 50 percent Texas turnover rate.

Don't think cause you live in the country, you will not be affected in some way. Come on Amarillo this is everyone's problem and you can't bury your head in the sand and say its not. We are all Americans.
    LOL, I have never in my life lived in the country. Amarillo has 50 schools, 185,000 people over 87.9 square miles with a metropolitan population of about 230,000, so we're not exactly Hickville. By golly, we even have the internet, satellite TV, a nuclear weapons facility and TWO Chili's restaurants :D
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 30, 2007, 05:04 PM
    I grew up with the rooster crowing every morning, in corn country.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2007, 05:06 PM
    I grew up with the rooster crowing every morning, in corn country.
    I never said I didn't ever wake up with to rooster crowing, our weird neighbors had chickens when I was a kid :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Senior facing difficult decisions [ 4 Answers ]

I own a condo and a mobile home. Mobile was purchased out of fear when my business was lost and was having difficulties finding a job, had received a small, very small, gift from a friend who had passed away. Didn't want to allow those funds to slip through my fingers. Used the funds as a large...

Homework on Credit Policy Decisions [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm at a real lose on this one: I've tried to get my arms wrapped around it but can't seem to do it. Homework is due tonight (I'm not planning on being an accountant.. God bless you that are.:) ). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the info and questions: (more...

Parents stupid decisions [ 9 Answers ]

Hey Right now I'm living in Qld and my parents decided they're going to move me and my family over to WA (on the other side of Australia) The problem is a couple of months ago my boyfriend moved in to my place from brisbane but he's not going to move to WA If I go we decided were going to have...

Decisions, decisions help [ 1 Answers ]

I have been offered a job out of state. Will I be taking that job and moving.

View more questions Search