Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeyg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 09:12 AM
    20 AMP Double Pole GFCI
    I am working on an addition and am installing a whirlpool tub. The tub requires 2 - 20 amp GFCI protect circuits: 1 for the pump and 1 for the heater. I ran 12/3 wire in the walls thinking I could have the BLACK wire go from 1 GFCI breaker to the pump outlet and the RED wire go from a 2nd GFCI breaker to heater outlet. What I failed to realize at the time was I only have 1 white neutral wire that would need to go to 2 GFCI Breakers.
    Questions:
    #1 Could I have the 1 white wire split in the electric panel and go to each of the GFCI breakers?
    #2 I have seen 20 AMP Double Pole GFCI Breakers. Would this solve my problem?
    My electric panel is a Cutler Hammer BR Box.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Updated 6/23 @ 3:15.

#3 Someone I spoke to suggested another option.
    Use a normal double pole breaker in the electric box. In the bathroom have the 12/3 wire run to a new double-gang box that is accessible (outside the tub). Here, use 2 GFCI Blank Face Receptacles (black to one, red to the other, share the neutral). Then run 2 sets of 12/2 wire from the 2 GFCI Blank Face receptacles to the outlets under the tub for the for the pump and heater.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2005, 10:28 AM
    The only way to wire this is to use 2 single pole GFI breakers and 2 runs of 12-2 with ground cable, creating one dedicated circuit for each unit.

There is no short cut for this situation.

GFI devices cannot operate on circuits with shared neutrals. The GFI measures the current in both the hot and the neutral, and compares them. IF the current flowing in the hot is 5 milliamps or more difference than the current returning on the neutral, it assumes a ground fault condition exisits, and trips off

So you can see why one breaker cannot monitor two circuits.

Sorry

Just noticed the added post. Yes using two blank GFI devices, and using two - 2 wire circuits from there will work. Same thing. One GFI for each circuit.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2005, 10:33 AM
    I am not up on code enough to say positively that would be a violation. I certainly hope it is. I hope you haven't finished the wall yet, and can start over again with 2 separate 12-2 with ground lengths of wire. Remember, the neutral may be at ground potential, but it caries amp for amp the same current as the hot wire. You can feed 2 or more hot wires into the same neutral. Back before a few buildings burned down, it even met code. If both circuits carry over 10 amps, the neutral will be carrying over 20 amps with nothing to break the circuit and keep it from overheating.
    terryfitz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 06:17 PM
    The 2008 NEC simply states that on a split circuit where both hot conducters are yoked to the same device, that the circuit breakers have to be bonded together so that both are thrown at the same time. It is not true that a shared neutral would carry the 20 amps you mentioned. If one leg (say the red) carried 6 amps and the black had four, the neutral would only carry 2 amps. I suggest you follow through on how this works. Now since a GFCI breaker measures both the current flow between the hot and neutral and also monitors the ground for activity, a split circuit (3 conductor + ground) cannot work properly on a GFCI.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
    First off, you are quoting the 2008 NEC. This thread is from 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by terryfitz
    Now since a GFCI breaker measures both the current flow between the hot and neutral and also monitors the ground for activity, a split circuit (3 conductor + ground) cannot work properly on a GFCI.
    This is completely wrong in two ways:

1) True, a GFI monitors current between the hot and neutral. It DOES NOT monitor ANYTHING with regard to ground. A GFI, especially a GFI breaker, will function prefectly fine even without a ground. In fact, a GFI device can replace a two-prong ungrounded receptacle.

2) A shared neutral circuit CAN work on a GFI. You must use a two-pole GFI breaker, which not only monitors the line to neutral current, it monitors the line to line current at the same time.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Tkrussel, stan

You say GFI breakers cannot share neutral. Does that also apply to GFI outlets?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Well, I said a two-pole GFI breaker CAN be used on a shared neutral circuit.

As far as GFI receptacles that is a loaded question.
    There are ways to wire it that they can, as long as only the LINE side is used.
    You cannot load out of a GFI device with a shared neutral.

Once the shared neutral circuit is split up into two "2-wire" circuits then you can load out to other devices.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Thanks for clarifying. Acknowledge breaker statement not yours. Have to ask, what's GFCI Blank Face Receptacle? Why doesn't Joey just run 12/3 to a first GFI receptacle, use one circuit, pigtail neutral and 12/2 to second GFI receptacle. Throw breaker away. Also has to have a disconnect means there also doesn't he.
    mediumkahuna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post
    I'm with this guy: put a 2 pole GFI in your panel then connect pump and heater to same neutral that comes from 2 pole GFI
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 03:05 PM

Med -

Nice thought, however, this post is six years old and more than likely resolved by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

Casablanca Fan with Single pole, triple throw, with off position [ 3 Answers ]

Witch Color goes into which electrical connection: We have black, grey, pink and yellow colors and stations L-1-2-3 Thanks

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

Need longer pole for fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my fan and realized that because I have a slanted ceiling I need to extend the polr from the ceiling. Are there poles available? I need at least 20" from the ceiling. Will this affect how the fan works?

Embedded pole foundations [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning a cabin for part-time use. Does a pressure-treated, embedded pole foundation save that much over a reinforced footing and concrete block? To be sure of being below the frost line, I like the footing bottom to be about 32" below grade. Your input will be appreciated. Stoker

View more questions Search