Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 09:08 AM
    38,000 christian denominations in the world?
    Another post reminds me of this that I've wondered about often...

38,000 is the number of christian denominations used by a lot of people, but I have yet to see a list of them from a reputable source. Does anyone have a source for this number that includes a list, or at least an explanation at how they arrive at that number?
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 28, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Rickj

I would be intrested to see if you could get a source about this, because this has been quoted a lot of time's in the past but no one can ever come up with any proof !
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I'm certain that there are thousands, but how many thousands I have no clue. No doubt there are many tiny ones that some Joe started in some small town home basement, but I'd think those should not be considered a "denomination".
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I had never seen a source for this claim but apparently someone actually does study this, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
    They link to this page citing 9000 worldwide denominations in their database. I'd think toss in a couple extra thousand for good measure and 12,000 worldwide denominations would be more accurate than 38,000.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    They link to this page citing 9000 worldwide denominations in their database. I'd think toss in a couple extra thousand for good measure and 12,000 worldwide denominations would be more accurate than 38,000.
    Rick, I think you need to look at that again, the World Christian Database has "extensive data" on 9,000 denominations, but the page I linked to claims 39,000 denominations at mid-2007, on number 43 under "CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATIONS."
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Ooh, yes I did miss that. So I guess we're back to square 1 wondering where they get that figure.

I emailed them asking for info that substantiates the figure of 39k :)
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
    I received a response to my email. Not what I was looking for, but here it is none-the-less:

Dear Rick,

The figure 39,000 represents our most current, up-to-date data. As we are constantly updating this figure, it is not published in print form. The figure of 33,800 from the year 2000 was printed in our book World Christian Trends, (Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2001). Part 12 of World Christian Trends (WCT), Table 12-1 gives figures of denominational totals for all 238 countries of the world. These figures are also represented graphically in WCT on page 917, Global Map 14. Unfortunately, we do not have a comprehensive list of all denominations by name. Such a list would be lengthy indeed!

I hope this informations helps.
    Thank you,
    Justin J. Evans
    Research Assistant
    Center for the Study of Global Christianity
    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    130 Essex Street #228
    South Hamilton, MA 01982 USA
    E-mail: [email protected]
    World Christian Database
    GCTS - Global Christianity - Center for the Study of Global Christianity
    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    World Christian Encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Hey Rick, at least they responded. So many these days do not.
    sebirence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Can you give the list of fouder's name of those denominations
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Sorry, sabirence, but it is not possible to post an answer of thousands of lines. Here is a link to information about some of them:

List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

What equals 1,000,000 [ 12 Answers ]

I have been asked this question and have absolutley NO idea on what the answer is, someone please help me! Ok here's the question. If a = 1, b = 2, z = 26, is there a word that when the values of the letters are multiplied will make a product of one million? For example, BAD = (2)(1)(4) = 8.

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Christian Denominations in the you.S. [ 3 Answers ]

There are 38,000 Christian denominations worldwide. How many denominations are there just in the U.S.

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

View more questions Search