Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candy girl Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Stomach ulcer
    I have been to dr,s and he said maybe gastritis or gastric ulcer. I have been to consultant who said need to do endoscopy with biopsy. I believe gastric ulcers can be cancerous, I am age 37 don't smoke, no history of ulcer in family, social drinker under 8 units per week but stopped now, not over weight, I have 2 week to wait for endoscopy and am very nervous about this procedure can anyone give me info on procedure or it being malignant, thanks
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 05:36 AM
    How long have you been experiencing this problem. Why do you believe that gastric ulcers can be cancerous?
    candy girl Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 05:38 AM
    I believe sometimes they can be cancerous through research on net it said 4 percent
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Firstly stop worrying that isn't going to help the ulcer stress makes them worse, they are very easily treated as long as you do as the dr tells you and take the medication they will give you.
    My husband has had a ulcer for a long time and keeps it under control quite nicely with medication and even now 3 years on he rarely has to use it.
    As for you thinking cancer what on earths the point in worrying yourself silly over something that isn't concerned and is just a maybe.
    Look after yourself steer clear of caffine, tomatoes,onions anything with a high acid
    Content should be avioded but your dr will go through all this with you.
    As for endocopy I won't lie it's a vile procedure but its nesecary try and relax as much as you can.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 06:30 AM
    My husband is not overweight,due to severe heartburn had an endscopy that revealed that he had an ulcer, esphageous damage (due to acid) and a hernia. Biposy were done and no cancer found. My son 4/5 years old at the time had bleeding ulcers due to chemotheraphy drugs, his ulcers were not cancerous, once they stopped the chemo and the stomach meds kicked in he healed rather quickly. Do not let being the correct weight fool you into eating anything and everything you want. Also if you have any type of mental stress do not internalize it. The night before endscopy he was not allowed to eat or drink after midnight. That morning he went in they weighed& measured him, took b.p. and listened to his heart rate, put, a monitor on his finger (heart rate) inserted a i.v. and a bit later took him to the surgical room. When he came out I was allowed in the room with him. Before he was allowed to leave they made sure he could drink a little juice, and urinate. This took about an hour after he came to. I drove him home and he slept for the better of the day. Woke up in the evening and ate a light dinner. This will be repeated 1 time per year for the rest of my husbands life. But he has a condition called Barretts esphageous. The ulcer is healed and has never bothered him since. This was 8 years ago. So do not be so worried you should be fine. Btw my son is 17 now and never has any stomach pain either.:)
    lillypopkins Posts: 26, Reputation: -1

Jun 30, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by candy girl
    i have been to dr,s and he said maybe gastritis or gastric ulcer. i have been to consultant who said need to do endoscopy with biopsy. i belive gastric ulcers can be cancerous, i am age 37 dont smoke, no history of ulcer in family, social drinker under 8 units per week but stopped now, not over weight, i have 2 week to wait for endoscopy and am very nervous about this procedure can anyone give me info on procedure or it being malignant, thanks
    I had all of the examinations and to be honist it doesn't hurt at all you wnt remember 2 much as you are under sedation and wake up ten minutes after exam you may feel tired after but that's all do you have to drink the stuff to clear out your system ? That is the only part that you may have trouble with as it isn't the most pleasant taste best of luck with it
    tkdgal Posts: 51, Reputation: 13

Jul 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
    i have been to dr,s and he said maybe gastritis or gastric ulcer. i have been to consultant who said need to do endoscopy with biopsy. i belive gastric ulcers can be cancerous, i am age 37 dont smoke, no history of ulcer in family, social drinker under 8 units per week but stopped now, not over weight, i have 2 week to wait for endoscopy and am very nervous about this procedure can anyone give me info on procedure or it being malignant, thanks
    I recently had to have an endoscopy done also, and was too nervous! That was the way I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, an Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). My gasteronologist did it for me when I was 14, and I am 15 now. There were several ulcers in my stomach and esophagus that were easily treated with medicine and a good diet. Try not to be nervous, though, just try considering that everyone who did the surgery is there to help you and make you better! Good luck!
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Relax!

I believe that ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection (I'll investigate this) so treatment by antibiotic may be the fix, however forget the cancer thing-it's highly unlikely, especially with no family history.

Read this:

Causes

Ulcers develop when the normal defense and repair mechanisms of the lining of the stomach or duodenum are weakened, making the lining more likely to be damaged by stomach acid.

By far, the two most common causes of peptic ulcer are infection of the stomach with Helicobacter pylori bacteria and use of certain drugs.

Before current treatments for H. pylori infection were used, these bacteria were present in nearly 90% of people with duodenal ulcers and in 75% of people with stomach ulcers. Currently, the percentage is lower, about 50 to 75%.

Many drugs, especially aspirin, other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and corticosteroids, irritate the stomach lining and can cause ulcers. However, most people who take NSAIDs or corticosteroids do not develop peptic ulcers. Regardless, some experts suggest that people at high risk of developing peptic ulcers should use a type of NSAID called a coxib (COX-2 inhibitor), rather than one of the older types of NSAIDs, because coxibs are less likely to irritate the stomach

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2007, 08:03 AM
    I had all of the examinations and to be honist it doesn't hurt at all you wnt remember 2 much as you are under sedation and wake up ten minutes after exam you may feel tired after but that's all do you have to drink the stuff to clear out your system ? That is the only part that you may have trouble with as it isn't the most pleasant taste best of luck with it

Jul 6, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Comment on Xrayman's post
    This is very true and it was discovered that I had the bacterial infection when I had endoscopy procedure and a course of antibiotics cleared it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stomach [ 2 Answers ]

Good day! I have a problem with my stomach I believe.Its like every time I drink up or eat something I get this moving weird feeling in my stomach.In that very moment I can not breath properly. It especially occurs when I get excited.. Has anyone got idea what tha might be?

Peptic Ulcer/Stress/Hiatus Hernia/Reflux Oesphagitus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Again, I need a medical opinion from a professional regarding the link between 1.Stress -2.Peptic Ulcer/Reflux Oesphagitus - 3. Hiatus Hernia. I have been suffering this for some years now... After mis treatment and bullying in the Military Services... Can any professional help out...

Stomach [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to prep for my summer job of lifeguarding, and though I am taken and love her immensely, I just want a flat stomach (Something I lost during 4th - 6th grade with pre-puberty weight and less time playing sports). I Swim year-round, and I do a college-level ab work out from an ex-team...

Stomach stapling [ 3 Answers ]

I know how stomach stapling is done for the most part and I know how much it cost. What I don't know is if you have to be a certain age to get this done or how long recovery takes. Anybody know?

Stomach Aches [ 1 Answers ]

My Girlfriend is 12 weeks pregnant and having stomach aches/upset stomach daily. What is a safe remedy (Pepto, tums, etc... )?? Thank you, Jason

View more questions Search