Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 07:09 PM
    estate taxes, appraisal, and property sale
    A family member died in 3/05 and left us two houses in California in a trust. We'd like to get appraisals that are hopefully below $1.5 million to avoid the estate tax. What happens if we then sell the two houses and the sale prices are above the appraised values? Is estate tax recalculated? Thanks very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 23, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Momo:

If the appraisal was done on the up-and-up by a certified real estate appraiser, then that appraisal should stand up to any scrutiny that may result if the subsequent sale is higher than the appraised value of the homes.

This really should not be a problem, since the appraisal process takes into account the sales value of similar properties in the locale of the appraised property. Further, given that it could take up to a year to sell a property after the appraisal takes place, property appreciation in a year's time has exceeded 50% in some of the hotter real estate market in the United States, so the IRS will probably not question a higher sale value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of property for $1 [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell property to an older sister for $1 to prevent a ex-wife from putting a lien on it. It is in PA

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Property Sale/inheritance Law [ 1 Answers ]

My brother, sister and I were raised by our great-aunt. She passed away nearly 10 yrs. Ago. The house and property she lived in at the time is still in her name. My brother has been taking care of upkeep and taxes for all of these years. And it was decided among the 3 of us that the house should be...

Question about property taxes in CA [ 1 Answers ]

If I buy a house for $600,000 in California, my mother's Dad said that the property taxes will be $9000. Is this true? Is it the same for townhomes or condos?

View more questions Search