Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patricia101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
    HIPAA Violation?
    My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with the couple's daughter but didn't have her phone number, so she looked it up in the chart. One of her co-workers overheard and turned her in for a HIPAA violation.

Since the death was a matter of public record (Obit in the paper), the wife was not even a patient, and this doesn't even involve health and/or insurance, how can it possible be a violoation? Am I way off on this?

Thanks for all your input/help with this!

Tricia
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Because she accessed office records and used an office phone. It is true that obits are public, but so are phone numbers - they are in the phone book. She should have done this in the privacy of her own home, not in the office.

The wife not being the patient is not the concern here - her husband was the patient. Family records and confidentiality.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
    That's absolutely correct ^ We've fired several employees for doing exactly that.

My question is: How did a coworker "overhear" ? Was your mother announcing it to the room?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Overheard the phonecall, I think.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
    I would appeal. The apparent violation was using information found in the chart (the phone number). But my understanding of HIPAA is that it protects having medical information revealed to unauthorized parties. In your mom's case I see no medical information being revealed to any unauthorized party. HIPAA does allow for an appeal process. While your mom's actions were not the smartest given the paranoia fostered by HIPAA, I just don't see it as a violation, especially not a violation that deserve more than a slap on the wrist and a promise not to do it again.
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
    The thing is, using office time/phones/records makes the office liable. If your mom would have taken note of the number and called her from home... no big deal.

On the CHANCE the daughter wouldn't have "appreciated" a phone call from your mom... and realized she took a phone number from her dad's chart, she could attack your mom's practice for violation of privacy. If your mom would have called from home anyone could assume she just opened up the phone book.

Another issue is company policy. Maybe this type of thing is addressed in her company handbook? I'd check into that first.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 07:34 AM
    While there may certainly be some violation of company policy in using the phones for personal calls. I just don't see this is a HIPAA violation. No medical info was revealed to anyone so it seems a large stretch to say HIPAA was violated.
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Mom might want to call and talk to someone who can advise her:

Hotlines
    Additional information may be available from one of the following hot lines:

Office for Civil Rights/HIPAA
    1-800-368-1019 - Civil Rights
    1-866-627-7748 – HIPAA
    TTY: 1-800-537-7697
    Email: [email protected]

File a Complaint
    1-800-368-1019
    TTY: 1-800-537-7697
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

Hipaa violation at Pharamcy [ 3 Answers ]

Can a patient pick up a prescription after the Pharmacy is closed given that the rest of the store is still open? Can a person say a patients name via intercom? Such as: "John Smith, your prescription is ready"? :cool:

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search