Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Jun 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Son's father owes me money for bills paid
    As the title says: my son's father owes me money for bills paid. I had brought my son to the dentist. I paid for ALL of the costs (didn't have dental insurance at the time) In the court order (Wisconsin if it makes a difference at all), it does state that the father is to pay half of all uncovered medical bills - this includes dental. I gave my son's father a copy of the bills so he could pay me (also it does state on the bill that I paid them). Well, he had not paid me and we were getting no where. I went to court and filed a motion to have them take a look at this. Well the day that court came, the father never showed. Court still proceeded and the judge granted in my favor. He gave my son's father 90 days to pay me ALL the money that he owes me for his half of the dental bills.

My issue is that the 90th day is coming up fast and I have not received a dime! Do I have to file another motion with the court if he does not pay up to get my money? If so, can I put that I want him to also pay the court costs for filing? Every time I file a motion it costs me $30 and why should I have to pay that? Does anyone know what will happen if he refuses to give me any of my money?

Thanks
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jun 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
    You should be able to additionally file for a wage garnishment. All that really means is that the courts grants you permission to serve his employer with a wage garnishment to collect the monies owed. If he doesn't work you are kind of out of luck. You can keep "taking him to court" but if he never shows you will continue to get your request granted but not much will be able to be done. My guess though is that since he was ordered to pay by the Court and has failed to comply that he could now be found in contempt by the Court and a warrant could be issued for his arrest. Really not sure about the warrant though. You really need to check with a lawyer in your area at least. If you don't/can't hire one at least call around (lots do free consults), explain your situation and ask them what can be done. Ask them to be specific about what can/will have to be done (for the purpose of knowing how much this lawyer will cost you of course) and then decide on how to proceed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
    You need to file to have him found in contempt of court by taking him back,
    summer12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    You should be able to additionally file for a wage garnishment. All that really means is that the courts grants you permission to serve his employer with a wage garnishment to collect the monies owed. If he doesn't work you are kind of out of luck. You can keep "taking him to court" but if he never shows you will continue to get your request granted but not much will be able to be done. My guess though is that since he was ordered to pay by the Court and has failed to comply that he could now be found in contempt by the Court and a warrant could be issued for his arrest. Really not sure about the warrant though. You really need to check with a lawyer in your area at least. If you don't/can't hire one at least call around (lots do free consults), explain your situation and ask them what can be done. Ask them to be specific about what can/will have to be done (for the purpose of knowing how much this lawyer will cost you of course) and then decide on how to proceed.
    Thank you for the question/answers. I'm going through the same situation in Iowa with my child's orthodontic payments. My ex refuses to give me my monthly share, and we're going on the 3rd month. I've contacted my attorney, but am waiting to hear the next step. I suggested garnishment, but I'm thinking of going after contempt, as this is spelled out in our decree. I'm also going to ask for reimbusement of attorney and court costs from him. I did this the first time and my ex had to pay half of my fees. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-boyfriend owes me money by verbal agreement [ 10 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend didn't work for 2 years and he kept borrowing money from me to pay his rent, phone & TV bills. I helped him out with food and spending money and let him use my car all the time but when it came to rent he would ask to borrow money and swear he'd pay me back when he got a job. I...

Girlfriend who owes me money wants to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my girlfriend for eight years. The house is in her name, and I pay her a monthy rent, plus half of utilites and other such expenses. She is also a student, and I have loaned her significant ammounts of money over the past four years, to help with her school expenses. ...

I have paid all the money back which I stole [ 4 Answers ]

I was questioned in taking money from work by means of refunding credit cards... I have paid it all back... can they still drop the charges... They may even give me my job back... I was a great employee that came across a really bad situation... Yes I am in Maryland... Is there any chance the...

My son's father, visitation, etc [ 11 Answers ]

I have so many questions and concerns right now, I don't even know what to do anymore! First off, my ex-boyfriend and I have a child together. I recently moved out of his house, and back in with my parents. We were never married, so I know that means that I have sole custody of our son. I'm...

View more questions Search