Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamondpnt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Sleeping through the night
    My one year old german shorthaired pointer won't sleep through the night. He would scratch on his kennel door and want out. I moved his kennel out of our room and set up a bed on the floor next to ours about 3 weeks ago. He still wakes up at 4:00 to 5:00 every morning and sometimes in the middle of the night. I noticed he started waking up early when the weather warmed up and we started hearing birds chirping. Is this seasonal and what can I do to get him to sleep longer at night? BTW - he gets an hour or more of off leash running (chasing birds) daily and I've tried walking him an hour before bedtime which did not help. Also, should I return him to his kennel and keep it out of our room at night? He stays in his kennel when we're gone and has no problem with it. Thanks in advanced for any help.
    Diamondpnt.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Doers he seem to want to urinate when he wakes up? If so, you may want to cut the water off at say 7 PM and see if it helps.

Do you think it could be the morning sun? Try putting him in his kennel in the darkest corner of the house, perhaps the SW corner. If it is a wire crate, you could try covering it with something, just make sure it is nothing he could pull in and shred. If neither if these help, post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping through the night? [ 2 Answers ]

Duncan is doing very well- almost 14 weeks and getting bigger by the second. The question is, he doesn't always sleep through the night. He was getting up in the middle of the night every night at first, now it's more like every other night or 3-4 times per week. We are just wondering when it is...

Dog not sleeping through the night [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site. My dad asked me to do a little research about why my 4 year old German Shepherd dog isn't sleeping through the night. She eats Eukanuba Large Adult Dry Food mixed with Pedigree Adult wet food at about 6 pm. Before my family goes to bed, we let her out to go to the...

Sleeping through the night [ 1 Answers ]

OK my son is now 5 ina half months old and does not sleep through the night instead he wakes up EVERY hour sometimes every half hour and its been like this for a long while about 3 months and its taking its toll on me being a single mother going to school full time. Am asking for anyway that you...

Sleeping through the night [ 7 Answers ]

Ok friends, here's another question for you. Is it normal for a two year old to not be sleeping through the night? My son has basically never slept through the night. There will be an occasional night that he does, but for the most part, he wakes up several times a night. I am tempted to just let...

11 week old puppy sleeping at night [ 2 Answers ]

We have the typical LAB puppy that is biting and chewing everything. The problem is she is not sleeping at night and it waking up at 11pm, 3am, 5am. We take her to outside at these times no problem. The problem is she is WIDE awake for hours afterward, running through house, whining for...

View more questions Search