Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 11:03 AM
    New System
    Does anyone have a suggestion for minimum specs for a new business PC? Small business running Office and Quickbooks and tons of pictures for reproduction, Adobe Photoshop? Want a screaming desktop! I have one in mind, but am unsure of myself.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2005, 03:50 PM
    AMD 64 or Pentium 600 series. 200G or better hard drive. Medium High end ATI or NVidia graphics adapter. Dual layer, dual format DVD burner. 1 G of RAM. Most of this is because of the photo editing. Without that you can reduce the RAM, the hard drive and the video adapter.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
    What exactly are you photo editing plans? Are you into serious graphic design and rendering "stuff" ?
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    What exactly are you photo editing plans? Are you into serious graphic design and rendering "stuff" ?
    No serious graphic design. Just storing wildlife pictures for future upload to our website.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 22, 2005, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzie
    No serious graphic design. Just storing wildlife pictures for future upload to our website.
    Okay, well that REALLY changes things.
    You said you wanted minimum specs, so here you go:

600-800 mhz AMD Duron
    256 MB RAM
    Some Random Cheap Motherboard (TM)
    Generic CD-ROM
    Integrated graphics and sound (see motherboard)
    Hard drive: 5 GB + however much you need for photos. It really depends how many photos we're talking about here, and how large they are, but I'd recommend at least 40 GB.

I do know from personal experience that a nice machine with a 450mhz Pentium-2 and 128MB RAM has plenty of power to run MS windows XP and MS office.

The listed system should be perfectly sufficient to run an office suite and Quickbooks PROVIDED you can keep the system free from malware (spyware, trojan horses, and other nasties). If you can't do that, you might as well go buy yourself an Opteron so you can run Word concurrently with whatever crap might sneak in.

This system will NOT be able to run MS Windows Longhorn.
    This desktop will NOT "scream" but it will work. If you want to scream, buy an Opteron. ;)

IF you're going to be doing more than storing photos (i.e. applying image filters to a large number of them), you're probably going to want a much better processor and more RAM.

IF you're going to do any of the following: massive image editing, movie editing, dvd authoring, gaming, compiling large software projects, animation rendering, traveling to the moon, etc, you NEED a better system.

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DX System [ 2 Answers ]

Detailed design details of DX System

System [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a problem in my system i.e. it reboot automatically after some time interval. I have checked all the possibilities that solve this problem but I can't found the proper result. So please help me for solving this problem. ...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search