Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Should I go to Grad school or work in Global 500 now
    Hi there,

I have two options on either going to one of the top graduate schools or working for a global 500 with a reasonable starting pay salary(they will train me while make me travel around the world for the first couple years)?

So what would you think I should choose?

What happen if I choose to work first? Can I still get need based grants from grad school later?

Thanks,
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Well... anyone has any insight, thoughts, comments?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 10:16 AM
    What would you study at Grad school? In general, if you're going for an MBA or a law degree, I would recommend a couple of years of real-life experience first. But if you're thinking about an advanced degree in a specialized field, then the work experience won't help you. In that case I would continue straight on to grad school (if you can afford it).
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I want to study Finance in grad school... ^^
    what do u think?
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Then get the job experience first, especially if it's in a finance area. It will allow you to verify for yourself that that's what you want to do with your career, and the experience can help you get into a higher-tier grad school.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:29 AM
    But I am afraid the grad school I will be attending after I have been working couple years won't give me enough financial aid, since they problly think I have worked so I have money to support my grad study..?
    Universal Truth Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I hate how people always blame the financial aspects of college. In reality, you yourself have already made the decision. Look at the facts-

If you go to grad school you get financial aid, some loans and debt. However, you get a degre and the potential to make more money. Which would eventually lead to no debt.

If you don't go to school, you get a job. You have no debt, and you already stated that there would be a good starting salary. You are a student at the moment, and probably living off about $20k/year. You won't need the fin. Aid after two years of making 60k if you budget correctly.

So lets say you are starting at $60k/year. You will be traveling for two years on the companies expense. That means your entire check will go to your bank account. The company should pay all travel expenses. So you can either go to school now, get loans and owe someone thousands of dollars; or you can go to work, travel, save more than enough to pay for college, and have no debt after obtaining that graduate degree. Not to mention the experience.

It sounds as though you have already made up your mind anyway. If you really wanted to go to graduate school you would have gone by now. Instead, you are searching for jobs and an excuse to not go. If you find something that justifies avoiding more school, you can tell all your friends why you gave up on your original goal, thus not feeling like a failure. It's not a question of money is it? It's a question of your goals and motivation.

On a side note- your quote under your post doesn't make sense. You may want to consider revising. I'm reading it as you progress because you can have people smarter than you- this tells me you are having smart babies, or you forgot to finish the entire thought. The second line is even more confusing since it implies that any object or thing will have greater knowledge than you. For revision lets try --

"I make progress by having friends who are smarter than I am" this indicates that you surround yourself with good people. As opposed to having people. It was mostly the words "having people" in this context that made it confusing.

"I assume everyone is smarter than I am" or "I assume everyone has something smarter to say than I do" Either one will suffice. They will both show your respect and admiration of the advice people give you.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
    I vote for grad school. You'll be amazed at how quickly your expenses rise to meet your income if you get a job. Once you get used to that lifestyle it will be really hard to go back to being a frugal student. Besides, if you're good at it, going to school is more fun than working.

Full disclosure: I spent almost nine years in grad school and loved every minute of it. One caveat though--find the right adviser. The wrong one can make your life a living hell.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    I vote for grad school. You'll be amazed at how quickly your expenses rise to meet your income if you get a job. Once you get used to that lifestyle it will be really hard to go back to being a frugal student. Besides, if you're good at it, going to school is more fun than working.

Full disclosure: I spent almost nine years in grad school and loved every minute of it. One caveat though--find the right adviser. The wrong one can make your life a living hell.
    What happen if I work for this global 500 for couple years all over the world then go back for grad school. I think the opportunity at this global 500 is rare,because they only pick one young graduate from USA to work in this worldwide team. I'll be the Only One from US... so I am knida hesitated now... what do you think?:)
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
    As I suggested earlier - I vote for the job opportunity for a couple of years, then grad school. The experience will help you get into a better school. For B-schools in particular, they are looking for students with excellent experience post-undergrad. If you don't have 2 years or so of work experience, it will be tough to get into any of the better schools.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    As I suggested earlier - I vote for the job opportunity for a couple of years, then grad school. The experience will help you get into a better school. For B-schools in particular, they are looking for students with excellent experience post-undergrad. if you don't have 2 years or so of work experience, it will be tough to get into any of the better schools.
    For Finance, MSF, is not part of MBA, I wonder if they prefer new undergraduates?

It'd be perfect for MBA, but I am not quite sure about Master of Science in Finance.

Any idea? THank you
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Honestly, I don't think it matters much which you do first. If you like this job prospect and want to do that for a couple of years before grad school, go for it. They might even pay for grad school when you get ready to go.

I worked for a Fortune 500 company for a couple of years after my undergrad degree. The reason I went back to school was that I figured out I wasn't really an organization man and grad school seemed like more fun than working. I didn't mind being poor, so it worked out well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 05:47 PM
    My son graduated from college, eventually got a job with a global 500 company, and with their coverage of tuition, was able to earn three master's degrees by taking evening classes and doing distance learning (computer). Needless to say, he has progressed in the company.

Does this company that is interested in you pay tuition for employees? You could do the same thing my son did.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
    I'd vote for the job experience for a few years. You can always go back to grad school later. So what if you have to live at a lower financial level when or if you decide to return to school. It happens all the time, and often for reasons outside of your control. If you have the job experience, that will always be a plus on your resume. You may decide to never return to grad school, but if you do, there are always loans available if you choose to use them with the idea to get an even better job down the road. Do a good job, and the employer might even finance your grad school for you in order to keep you with them after you finish the degree... Professional experience is often better on a resume than a lot of college courses...
    MENGE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 09:20 AM
    I have reasoned your question out. Remember as you say in your while working they will train you,for me this is a star to your career particularly if you are majoring in any of the business subjects/courses. In higher studies you enjoy and sythesize better when you have hands-on experience. I have been working and studying, I assure you I have enjoyed every minute of the practical experience from working.
    On the other hand going to graduate school will open more and better opportunities for even wonderful avenues with a prospect of higher pay and better working conditions.
    Why should you be thinking of grants after two years or so of working? I perceive if only you have poor planning. Anyway I can offer to give free financial planning assistance(if you choose to take the job) and definitely if you choose. The ball squarely remains in your court, the decision is yours, advice is ours.
    MENGE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 09:21 AM
    I have reasoned your question out. Remember as you say in your while working they will train you,for me this is a star to your career particularly if you are majoring in any of the business subjects/courses. In higher studies you enjoy and sythesize better when you have hands-on experience. I have been working and studying, I assure you I have enjoyed every minute of the practical experience from working.
    On the other hand going to graduate school will open more and better opportunities for even wonderful avenues with a prospect of higher pay and better working conditions.
    Why should you be thinking of grants after two years or so of working? I perceive if only
    You have poor planning. Anyway I can offer to give free financial planning assistance(if you choose to take the job) and definitely if you choose. The ball squarely remains in your court, the decision is yours, advice is ours.

Silas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for classmates from East Allegheny High School Who grad. In 86 or 87 . [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering what happened to everyone! IF you went to EA in north versailles Pa. hope to here from you.

Grad school or time off? [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated from college in December 06 and I am currently living at home and working in my home town at the local hospital. I have been here since I was four and never even left for college. I want to pursue my master's in Speech Language Pathology, I have applied to three schools and been...

Future Grad school on resume? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm attending a career fair next week at my undergraduate institute(I'm a senior right now). I know that in September, I will be attending graduate school at another college to get my Master's. Should I put that on my resume? If so, what should it look like? Right now, the education part of my...

Grad school after OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions. After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT...

Help with school work! [ 2 Answers ]

Forget it. It is a crime here to ask for help if it is for school work!

View more questions Search