Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boojumm Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch
    I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed)
    Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch.
    After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn
    At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds
    And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first one I bought may have been defective. I am certain I have the new switch wired the same as the old one as I cut off and restripped the wires (so the wires were still on the old switch).
    The fan still won't turn (however I can hear a hum in one of the switch positions).

Am I missing something here? I am really stumped.

PS. I've seen this same questions in other bulletin boards... But no fixes were offered. :(
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
    If the old switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by boojumm
    I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed)
    ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch.
    After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn
    at all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds
    and even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first one I bought may have been defective. I am certain I have the new switch wired the same as the old one as I cut off and restripped the wires (so the wires were still on the old switch).
    The fan still won't turn (however I can hear a hum in one of the switch positions).

Am I missing something here? I am really stumped.

PS. I've seen this same questions in other bulletin boards... But no fixes were offered. :(
    ... worked, prove to yourself that you wired the others the same by putting the old back in. I'd offer more but in the absence of a wiring diagram, this is where I would start.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
    I am confused about the 4 wires. You should have 2 white wires connected to each other and not the switch, 2 green or bare likewise, and one hot in and 2 wires out, for 3 wires to the switch. It is possible the new switch is not the same internally as the old. Was it sold specifically for the fan, or just a switch?

Did the fan run at any speed with the old switch? If so, use a multimeter or conductivity tester to find out which wires are connected in what ever position it is stuck in. Then remove the new switch, and connect those wires without it. If the fan still doesn't run, the problem is other than the switch.

Jun 22, 2005, 07:51 AM
    The original switch...
    Did not work as the chain broke off inside. The wires were in this order. Purple to the "L" connector, Black to the "1" connector, Brown to the "2" connector, and Grey to the "3" connector. The new switch is identical to the old one from the outside... I guess it could be different inside. I obtained it from Home Depot and the staff there seemed knowledgeable and pointed me to this one. When I thought it was defective, I returned it and purchased another at Lowe's... Same problem.

Jun 22, 2005, 08:01 AM
    If you are...
    did not work as the chain broke off inside. The wires were in this order. Purple to the "L" connector, Black to the "1" connector, Brown to the "2" connector, and Grey to the "3" connector. The new switch is identical to the old one from the outside... I guess it could be different inside. I obtained it from Home Depot and the staff there seemed knowledgeable and pointed me to this one. When I thought it was defective, I returned it and purchased another at Lowe's... Same problem.
    ... comfortable with some experiments, you can shut the main power (wall switch or panel breaker) and connect the black wire (line hot) to one of the motor wires at a time to check that it works correctly. One side of the motor should already be wire nutted to the line neutral (white wire). Use a small wire nut to make the connections with the power removed and then use the switch (?) to reapply power briefly to check the fan.

Jun 22, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Yes...
    I did that and the motor will run so I know the motor coils are good. I'm starting to think the new switch is wired differently inside... 4 connections is how many combinations... That may be my next step.

Jun 22, 2005, 09:03 AM
    One connection...
    I did that and the motor will run so I know the motor coils are good. I'm starting to think the new switch is wired differently inside... 4 connections is how many combinations..... That may be my next step.
    ... is for the common input (hot line). The others (assuming it is the simplest of switches) allow for:
    1. None connected to the common (off)
    2. 1 set of windings (low speed)
    3. 2 sets of windings (medium speed)
    4. 3 sets of windings (Full speed)
    There are many combos and if you don't have a continuity tester use a flashlight, remove the end cap and start checking the switch (write it down) by connecting the common to the battery end, and the other wires to the battery end connector while 'yanking your chain' and checking the flashlight for ‘on’.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2005, 02:06 PM
    You need to figure out how the old switch worked and find a new one that works the same way. I have not found Lowe's and Home Depot employees helpful on anything but the basics. You could check with the manufacturer of the fan, their tech service line or web site. You could take the old switch to an electrical supply house and see if they can match it. You could take the switch apart and try to figure out how it worked yourself. Drill out any rivets holding it together and carefully pry it apart. There may be spring loaded parts inside. If they fly everywhere, it makes it harder to figure out. Perhaps you could even replace the chain, and put it back together replacing the rivet with a small screw.
    Chief C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2005, 01:18 PM
    I too have encounter the same problem when replacing the three speed swithc on a Hampton Bay fan. I have even looked at two other Hampton Bay fans just to make sure I rewired correctly. Three fans, three different wiring!
    I believe that I have a switch with different internal workings. If anyone figures out which wires goies to the L, 1, 2, 3 positions please let me know.
    MisterP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2005, 10:20 AM
    Capacitor problem
    If you are getting electricity to the motor (hum), you probably have a fan capacitor problem. The capacitor is packaged in a little black box inside the switch housing and it has either 2 or 3 wires. Be sure to get the markings off the capacitor (eg. 2uf + 7uf [3 wire] or 5uf [2 wire]) You will probably have to go to an electrical warehouse to get this part. I've found that Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry this part. It will run about $7-$10
    Hope this helps.
    MisterP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Web Link
    http://www.regencyfan.com/help/faq/?FAQ=3

Jul 3, 2005, 07:14 PM
    Hampton Bay Fan Resolution!
    :D OK... I've exhausted trying to fix this fan... Metered out the switch. Its OK. Bypassed the reverse swith and capacitors... I'm convinced I have an open motor winding and its not worth wasting any more time on this. Here's the good news. I found Hampton Bay's Tech Support Hotline number at 800-749-3267. I called them and they said if I supplied the UPC # from the top of the fan, they'd send me the part I needed. As my fan is too old for the UPC number, they said they'd send me a $50 gift certificate from Home Depot to use how I want. I think that's very fair! I'm waiting for the gift check to arrive in the mail (if I don't get it, I'll report back). Good luck!
    waja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2005, 11:37 PM
    Tomorrow I'm headed to Home Depot to start the same process. Went to turn on the fan, and the pull-chain was stuck. I opened up the light box and removed the pull-chain switch. Found that the plastic rotor inside cracked and jammed the switch. I found this thread and decided to meter the switch. I have four spring type wire connections. L-1-2-3.

Off : X
    High : L-1
    Med : L-2-3
    Low : L-3

I didn't expect the Medium setting, but it makes sense looking at the load block. Position 1 connects straight through. Position 2 and 3 are each labeled as 5 uF and are used in parallel for Medium.

Found this site that has a diagram of the switch in my Fan

http://www.dansfancity.com/techhelp/parts/sw300nn.htm

Well Tec 108
    --
    Rick
    ghuang131 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2005, 08:08 AM
    How to put in the wire
    Hi, my chain broke while the fan was in op, and so it was stuck in one setting. So I know the motor & capacitor are OK.

I bought another similar 3-speed switch from OSH, marked all the old wires. I stripped the wire to expose some metal wiring and stuffed them into the switch. They were quite loose. And the fan doesn't work.

My question is, was I supposed to strip the rubber off? Also, there are four slits on the bottom of the switch. Was I supposed to leave the wire as it is without stripping off the rubber, insert the wires in, and push into the slit using a screwdriver and it will cut a contact into the wire. THere were no instructions on the switch so I had no clue until after I put in a wire. Any help is greatly appreciated.

George H.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2005, 06:46 PM
    Examine the switch. Some connectors are designed to swing open, insert the unstripped wires, and squeeze it closed. Very quick and easy once you figure it out.
    tracker 153 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 09:19 PM
    Wiring a three speed fan switch
    My daughter called me the other day and said Dad the ceiling fan in the kitchen is not working only the light works. I went over and removed the three screws that hold the light and pull chain for the fan down and found that the fan control switch had snapped open and all 4 wires had popped out. The snap clips on each side of the switch had broken off. I went down to Home Depot in the ceiling department and found the switch I was looking for. It said for a four wire ceiling fan. OK, know lets put it back together. First of all if you look at the new switch you should see four holds were the wires will be pushed into. The black wire in the fan is the hot or load wire, this wire is hot whenever the wall switch to the fan is turned on. Put this wire in the hole that is marked “L” this stands for load. Now with this switch in the off position the fan will not work until you pull the chain. The other three holes are marked #1, #2 and #3. On most fans #1 is usually high speed. # 2 medium and #3 low speed. What you now have to determine is what wires are high medium and low. The easiest way to do this is before you put any of the wires back into the new switch is to FIRST MAKE SURE NO POWER IS GOING TO THE FAN. Then simply take one of the colored wires at a time and twist it together with the black hot wire.
    Turn the power back on to the fan and knot the fans speed. Do this with all three wires one at a time until you can determine which wire is high speed. Note the color of the wire and mark it down on paper.(Example; blue wire high speed.) Do this with the other two wires to determine there speed. Once you have the speed of each wire you can reassemble the new switch.

Black wire (Load) goes in hole marked L. High speed wire goes in hole marked # 1. Medium speed goes in hole marked #2 and low speed goes in hole # 3. MAKE SURE THE POWER TO THE FAN IS TURNED OFF WHILE YOU ASSEMBLE THE NEW SWITCH.

For those of you that have all these wired hooked up right and still the fan won't work I would then look for an open neutral wire. It should be a white wire. Check to see if all the wires are securly attached.

Good luck. One more word of advice. If you're not sure on what you are doing when it comes to electrical wiring then please do not attempt to do this or any other electrical work yourself. Call a licensed electrian. Any mistakes on your part could void your home owners insurance in case of a fire. Better safe than sorry.
    Dric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 05:19 PM
    Hampton Bay Fan... fan switch
    I read you post and I need to replace the piece that is in the fan that the pull chain is connected to... the piece is: K.T.E. 250 vac is that the same as you replaced and if so where do I get it? Thanks
    doiturslf4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 05:46 PM
    tracker 153

The pull chain came out of our fan switch so I opened up the fan and removed the old switch (using a paper clip) making sure to write down the wire colors and their locations (Was L-Purple, 1-Black, 2-Grey, 3-Brown). I went to HD and found the only 4 wire, 3 speed switch they carried and installed it back into the fan but it did not work. I called the Hampton Bay support #, which is a joy to find, and they directed me to a company called Compass East (CEI). I called CEI and some kid said to try a different combination but that did not work either. Seeing that we have several Hampton Bay fans in my house, I removed a switch from a fan in an area that was lower in priority and installed it in our bedroom fan. This worked for the night, well, sort of, it gave me low and medium only but it was better then nothing. So needless to say, I then started to search the internet for ideas and...

That's when I read this thread and saw your repsonse. I went back on the ladder for the third night in a row (and, of course, it's been very hot and humid the whole time) and tried your suggestion of connecting wires together to find out which speeds were what. Here's what I have found:

Black, purple, grey = slow
    Black, purple, brown = medium
    Black, purple, brown, grey = fast

So I called that kid back at CEI (1.800.233.3306) wondering if they had a switch that fit this pattern and he said they only have what I would get at HD.

ARG!

So, anyone know where to get a 3 speed fan switch that fits that pattern?

Anyone, Anyone... Bueller.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2005, 08:37 PM
    I don't quite understand what you mean when you say the switch from HD didn't work? Were the speeds not right, or did the fan not run at all? It sounds like all you need is a simple 4 position switch. Try a hardware or Radio Shack. Don't say anything about the fan, just ask for a 4 position switch, off and 3 other contacts.
    doiturslf4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2005, 03:39 AM
    HD switch didn't work = no fan movement what-so-ever.

Thanks for the other idea. I'll give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Replacing a pull chain switch [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My new pull chain switch has (only) two black wires; how do I connect it to the ceiling wires (one black, one white, plus the ground wire)? Thank you! Willow

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search