Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Going from Secondary to Elementary
    I currently hold an M.A. in Adolescent Education but do not have NYS Certification. However, I'm realizing that maybe I would be better teaching in an elementary school. I've heard that three years teaching in a private school can qualify a beginning teacher for certification in lieu of student teaching, but can I still apply to be an elementary school teacher when my degree is for secondary education?

Also, just as a side question, I've seen ads for positions that are "3/4 time" as opposed to full or part time. What's the difference?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:29 PM
    In regards to your question about teaching in the elementary school, perhaps it would be best if you contact your local NEA or your state's board of education. Ask them as they would know the specific legislation and rulings for where you live.

About a 3/4 position. From my experience and some of the teachers I have worked with, who had one of those 3/4 positions - what a joke. You do not get full time pay or benefits but you end up spending the same amount of time in the day, as there is always those "as assigned" duties. You know how that goes. Teachers cannot just teach, they have to be the hall monitor, the one who waits for the bus before and after school, etc. and so on.

I do sincerely hope there are those teachers out there who have had a better experience with 3/4 positions. Maybe in larger school districts, there is more adherence to the contract arrangements.
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Well thanks for the "3/4" heads-up, I guess I won't be applying for THAT position lol... I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Is there anyone from New York who can answer the other question?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:58 PM
    It was a good experience and it got my foot in the door. Good luck to you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 05:08 PM
    I don't know NY law but sure know everything about Illinois education law. Teaching in a private school will not get you around student teaching which is required prior to certification. Also, at least in Il, you can't just move from secondary to elementary, they are totally different certs. You would take different courses leading to one or the other but not both. Shy is totally correct, 3/4 pay usually means FT work load without benefits. Call your local NYEA or State certification office for detailed advice. Just retired from 35 years in public ed and would do it over again in a heart beat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can...

Elementary Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one help me slove this equation: (1/3)(6x-9)=(1/2)(6x-4)

Elementary Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

If the length of a rectangle is doubled does the area double? Why?

My elementary school sweetheart [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, So my elementary school sweetheart pops back into my life about every 5 years. When we were kids we had a crush on each other but we did the usual kid things, he picked on me and I was mean in return. Both of our mothers are close friends so over the years of us not seeing each other and dating...

Secondary card holder [ 2 Answers ]

There were charges made on my card buy the secondary user. Payment were late and this went on my credit . Will the creditor allow the secondary card holder to take over entire account and take my name off if both card holders agree to this. Or can a judge order the credit card company to do this.

View more questions Search