Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Learning languages proficiently...
    Is that possible to learn languages fast? If there is any expert who knows how to learn smoothly but quickly, please recommend me with some methods. I am in Malaysia and thus I am mixing around with the people who speak some languages such as Bahasa Malaya, Mandarin (chinese), Tamil, Punjabi, English. I know how to speak hindi well but don't know how to speak Punjabi. But the biggest matters are with two languages MANDARIN and Bahasa MELAYU or Malaya. That's all. If you have info, please let me know...
    ANy website address will be appreciated...
    Thanks for your kind attention...
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 4, 2005, 09:23 AM
    fluency
    I learned how to speak Tagalog (filipino) in approximately 8-9 months. Many think it's impossible, but trust me it's not. In your situation you've been basically thrown into a language yo know nothing about, a lot like me. After 8-9 months in the philippines, I could joke around, tell stories, and understand everything said to me. Obviously I still learned after that point, but I fluently spoke and understood at that point. I had the benefit of having an alphabet almost exaclty as the English Alph. First, you need to learn the alph. However, in general, don't pay too much attention to vocab. What you need to know is the structure of the language. If you study and know the grammar, structure, conjegations, etc, the vocab is like second hand. When I heard a word, two times, I knew it for good. I knew how to conjegate it in every way, I was able to use it proficiently. So once yo know the structure, you just pick up the vocab by listening to everyone els. Remember the most imortant thing is to use it! Don't be shy or scared of making a mistake or people laughing at you. It's going to happen no matter what, so start now so you can get it over with. Use is, speak it with everyone you know. Listen intently. After about a year of being in the PI I was thinking and dreaming in tagalog. That needs to be your goal. Don't translate what you hear into english, just know it. When you read this you just know all these words. When hear these words: magandang umaga sa inyo lahat! I just know them, I don't have to think that maganda is beautiful, umaga is morning, sa inyo is to you , and lahat is all. I just recognize it because it has becom a part of me. If you have any other questions, I am more then willing to help.:-)
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Thanks for showing me the path...
    Hey Dude,

Thanks for your very kind consideration...

I am glad to know that there are people who are really willing to help each other even though there is no physical benefit...

I appreciate your friendship and hope to cherish our friendship by applying the methods mentioned by you...

I am really thankful to you...

Once I am well-versed in the languages that I am trying to be, I will let you know...

Until then, NO GOOD BYE, but Keep in touch...

Take care...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm learning [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I've just started wrestling and I'm not the best any advice

Study of foreign languages in the 18th century [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a paper on Gulliver's Travels for university and I would appreciate if you could help me with this question: Did people in the 18th century give any importance to the learning of a foreign language? Was it a normal practice to learn a foreign language? I am particularly interested in...

Learning Spanish, French and German Languages [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me easiest way of learning languages, mainly; Mandarin, Tamil and Bahasa Melayu? I have my friends with who I can communicate. But still I want some black and white teachings. French, German and Spanish languages are also needed... Thanks for your kind attention...

Three dachshunds learning to get along [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my dachshund situation at home. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on getting three dachshunds to live in harmony. Two days ago we brought in a precious girl rescue dachshund to join our two boy dachshunds. The girl is about nine years old and is a...

View more questions Search