Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Sleeping positions
    Since I just found out I am pregnant I have done A LOT of reading. All the books say the best sleeping position is on your left side. I know that you should sleep on your side when you are farther along in pregnancy, but why your left side? Can you sleep on your right side? Does it really matter which side?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
    It helps the blood flow and circulation of oxygen and nutrients or something. My doctor always told me that. I sleep on my stomach until I can't anymore, then I move to my side. It is hard to train your body to sleep in a new position. I suggest getting yourself one of those body pillows that looks like a big horseshoe, it will help train your body (and thy are comfy too)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Most physicians recommend that a woman sleep on her left side while pregnant. This allows for the maximum blood flow to the baby, and it will also improve kidney function for the mother. The improved kidney flow will help to reduce swelling. Because your liver is on the right side of your body, sleeping on your left will keep the pressure off your liver.

Early in pregnancy, you should attempt to get into the habit of side sleeping. Typically the most comfortable position is with your knees bent. You may wish to place a pillow between your knees to sleep more comfortably.

The best sleeping position for a pregnant woman is on her side, especially the left side, because it allows for maximum blood flow to the fetus and improves kidney function in the mother. Improved kidney flow helps to reduce any swelling. Placing a pillow between the knees can help a pregnant woman sleep more comfortably on her side. Also, using a bunched-up pillow or rolled-up blanket at the small of your back may help to relieve some pressure.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
    That's why J_9 is so good at her job. :) this is an example of the pillow I use, I love it.
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Girl, I have a 9 mnth old baby. Let me tell you, sleep however you want while you can! Soon you won't be able to sleep on you belly because its too big, then you can't sleep on your back cause of the weight on something, don't remember, then you'll only be able to sleep on your sides! If your blood pressure gets high, you'll have to lay on your left side. So I say lay every way except your left side while you can!! Lol
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Lol... I used one in between pregnancies...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Football player positions [ 6 Answers ]

What is the position called for the football player who holds the ball for the kicker or punter?

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Orgasmic Positions for Women: [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest the most Orgasmic Positions for Women:

Football player positions [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the official name or position of the player that holds the while for a kicker or punter?

Player Positions [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know where I can go on the internet to get an explanation of what each position on the team is supposed to do and the names of each of the position. Sorry, but when I am watching a game, I would like to know what each particular player does.

View more questions Search