Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atunis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Inground pool coping
    I recently had my vinyl liner replaced on my inground swimming pool. I have bull nose coping, (this was not changed), and I am noticing that it is separating from the concrete deck in quite a few places (about 3/4 inch). I also notice that where the pieces of coping connect to each other there are signs of separating as well.

I am wondering if anybody can help me to know what the problem is and how it could be fixed. The installer is supposed to come back to fix some pleats in the shallow end and I would like to talk to him about this at the same time. He actually told me that my concrete was moving away from the pool which I find rather ridiculous!

Thanks.
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2007, 12:18 PM
    I'm not am expert but, I never heard of the concrete moving away from the pool unless it was a shabby installation. As far as the liner, it sounds like the liner is not the correct size since this is a recent installation. I to have an inground pool and as time goes on the liner will have a tendency to shrink especially if you do not keep the calcium up to correct levels. The rounded corners are the first to show this. No one told me this until a place on my pool pulled loose I was able to get it fixed and to get the calcium up to correct level before any more problems occurred.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 2, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Ok -

The liner is not too small. The liner will not be able to affect the coping no matter how small the liner is - providing that the coping is installed correctly.

As for the concrete moving away from the pool - absolutely, this happens all the time. If you do not have sono tubes supporting your deck properly, or if your fill material under the deck is washing away due to poor drainage or prolonged leaking of your swimming pool, you can most certainly experience your deck moving, usually dropping and cracking.

It sounds to me that your coping maybe should have been changed before your new liner. The liner, if 30 mil. is pro-rated for a 30 year warranty. If you do not think that the coping will easily last as long as the liner will, you must have your coping changed at the time you do the liner. It can be easy to NOT replace the coping, especially bullnose as this requires deck work as well, but the time to notice that your coping is showing signs of age and wear is NOT directly after you have a new liner installed.

You will need to rely on your pool professional to help you with your coping problem as this is one of those "need to be there" situations in all likelihood.

FYI- Are you confident with your pool professional? A $100 service call to a large pool company may provide you with a good second opinion if you suspect that you might need one.

If by "bullnose", you are referring to deck mounted coping that is 5-7" wide and not " wide and not " as in a 3.5" tall coping where the deck is poured flush with the top, you may need a different solution. Deck mounted coping needs to have galvanized tech screws EVERY 6" as in a 3.5"-24" all the time. This is not enough and WILL fail eventually. Tech screws are expensive and it is an easy corner to cut by not using enough. If this is your problem you may be able to add more without needing to drain the pool.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In round pool liner beading and coping [ 1 Answers ]

I uncovered my in ground pool to find the liner beading has come away from the pool wall groove in several spots around the pool. Is there a way to repair this ? Thanks

Inground pool liner and coping [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is JAMIE I live in LEWISTON MAINE and new to havivg a pool The coping is pulling away from the pool wall and in one place the coping has snaped the screwheads off that holds the coping to the poolcan anyone help me on this??

Repainting inground pool [ 1 Answers ]

We bought our house with an inground pool that is approxiamently 25-30 yrs old. It is an old sylvan plaster pool. The couple that lived here before us told us that they repainted the pool every year with Sears exterior latex paint. Has anyone ever done this or heard of anything like this? Is it...

Inground fiberglass pool [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know some basic rules to follow when removing an inground fiberglass pool. Does the pool need to be removed at all? If so does it need to be removed intact or can it be torn down into smaller parts? I am looking for information so when I contact a contractor I will know what kind of...

Fiberglass Inground Pool.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Does anyone have any insight or experience related to having a fiberglass inground pool installed? Any information, pitfalls, pros & cons appreciated! Thank you in advance!:)

View more questions Search