Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    langle1033 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Replace or Repair ?
    The verdict: Bryant Heat pump's compressor is shorted to ground. Unit is 8 years old, out of warranty (warranty only 5 years)

Now I have to chose one out of three

1. Replace the compressor alone: $1,750 for material &labor. Warranty for 1 year
    2. Replace the outside unit: around $3,000 warranty 10 years for compressor
    3. Replace the whole thing Inside and Outside :around 4,500.00 warranty 5/10 years

What is your recommendation??

Thank you for your input
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I would scratch out just replacing the compressor, it's an all around bad idea, for a few hundred more you can get a new unit with good warranty. As far as replacing the air handler, it's up to you, you can always wait until it goes out, or just get it out of the way now, you may get a better deal if you buy the package. Also, you may want to upgrade to a higher efficiency system, for this, you will need to replace everything.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
    What SEER is your current unit, coil may need to be replaced. I agree with HVAC don't do just a compressor.

Jun 27, 2007, 05:05 AM
    My current burned out unit has 10 SEER. It is a cheap"contruction type" Bryant 661C series, 3.5 Ton.

I have a friend whom offer to replace a 10 SEER copressor for around 1000 bucks. He told me that I still have a good inside unit. With a replaced compressor, I might get few more years out of the whole unit.

Shall I follow his advise?

Jun 27, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Also, he said that I cannot replace the outside unit alone since it is very hard to find a 10SEER outside unit now aday. However he thinks he can find the 10 SEER compressor.

Therefore, either $1,000 or $5,000 (may be $4,000 plus). I only have 2 choices.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Well, in my opinion, a thousand dollars is a lot to pay for one years worth of air conditioning, that's all you are being guaranteed, if that's all you can afford then you have no choice. He is correct, 10 seer units are kind of hard to find, but there are a bunch still out there. Also you may be able to get by with just changing the indoor coil and condenser. I think if you plan on staying in the house for awhile I'd upgrade the whole system, it will save you money in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair/replace leaky swivel spout? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to fix (preferably) a leak on 30 yr old Gerber laundry faucet w/swivel spout. I am unclear if this can be accomplished or if the entire faucet needs to be replaced. The faucet is on 8" centers w/ acrylic handles. The leak is at the base of the swivel spout. After removing the chrome...

Replace or Repair? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Its -15degC outside and my furnace will not light. Thankfully my gas fireplace seems to be keeping up. I have a Keeprite furnace with a Honeywell SV9501M main gas and pilot controller. I have checked the all the limits and the Solenoid is receiving 28V to ask for heat. The Solenoid also...

Should I replace or repair my TV? [ 5 Answers ]

My TV has a white horizontel line across the screen, dividing the screen in half. Above the line the screen is totally black and below the line the picture is normal. It's a Samsung 25" TXE 25346.

View more questions Search