Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luc975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Can H4 holder file 1099 ?
    Hi I'd really appreciate it if somebody can help us out here. My wife is an H4 visa holder, and this last spring she helped her friend who owned a tile company with some administration work and now she got a 1099 form. Can she file it ? If not then what is the best way to file it ? Or can her friend's company put the 1099 under my name (I'm an H-1B visa holder) ?
    Rina _4 Posts: 182, Reputation: 19

Jun 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
    If your wife received a 1099, that means she has a social security number. Yes she can file it. And NO the 1099 can not be transferred under your name.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Agree with Rina about NOT being able to transfer it to your name.

She will have to file a Schedule C with either Form 1040 (if you file jointly) or 1040NR (if she files separately from her).

You may want to contact an immigration attorney or post the question on the LAW portion of this forum about the ramifications of her earning money under the Form 1099, because, In my opinion, she has violated the provisions of her visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a part-time H1-B visa holder but have to file 1099 tax form? [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a small company (with employees less than 10 people). My boss and I understand and follow the minimum wages and hours required to maintain eligibility of part-time H1-B (my visa started in Oct 2005). However, the company does not withheld payroll taxes, so all employees file their...

No 1099, wondering how to file [ 1 Answers ]

During the year I worked for someone and made some cash under the table (slightly above the non-1099 limit), and as such never received any 1099 from the employer (so far as I know, no forms were filed whatsoever). Though I have other sources of income for the year, I would nonetheless like to...

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

View more questions Search