Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
    1967-2007 40 years later, Summer of Love
    Ok, can you remember what you were doing in 1967 the year of Free Love, Summer of Love, groovin those songs, having flowers in your hair, and totally spaced out with colors, LSD, weed.

Who can remember?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
    l967 in Toronto would have been camping out in Yorkville with, as you say, flowers, weed and colours. Those living in Yorkville at that time would have been constantly stoned, most undressed driving the police crazy. Yes I remember how it was. If we wanted to see how the other side lived, then we went and cruised Yorkville for an evening.

Yorkville now is the most fashionable place to be, sidewalk cafes where it is always celebrity watching because the boutiques in that area offer only the best and the bistros offer only the best food and drink (and they charge for it too!).

I was enjoying myself with my first new car visiting the beach every weekend in and around l967 at Wasaga and most of my friends at the time were far removed from the summer of love the way everyone wants to remember it. Nonetheless it was a happy time if you were young and single.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
    During the summer of 1967 I was most likely potty training!! LOL
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Well, 1967 I was listening to all the music of the era, even record it off the radio on a reel to reel Apex recorder, ( wish I got find them), trying to start a band, I played guitar, we never did get to play anywhere except in the basement.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Jun 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
    I wasn't born yet, but I wish I was. Those times seem so nostalgic and I would have loved to be a hippie during that era. So much love and concern about the world and its problems. So much interconnectedness through the music and poetry and violence of that time. I wish young kids today were so aware as they were then of the corruption of government, war and politics. I wish they demonstrated and protested the way they did then. I wish
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Hello mr. yet:

When I grew up, I thought every generation had their own identity - like the flappers of my parent's generation or the punks and gen x'rs of my children's generation.

But, noooooo. NOTHING compares to the 60's. This WASN'T just your normal teenage rebellion. It was a special time. It was magical... People came together in ways that they never did before and I don't think ever will again.

The summer of love?? I worked on Sunset Boulevard and wore a suit and tie. I loved cruising down Sunset and watching those weird hippy's. Interestingly, a year later, I was one. Go figure.

excon

Jun 28, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Magical is exactly what it was, I don't know if it ever could happen again. Our kids now are so distracted with the latest gadget or fashion, it is sad that their happiness is so dependent on everything material and external. Those days, it was the complete opposite and rebellion on everything that had to do with money and status. If I had a time machine...
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Aug 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Summer of love... as a new member looking at the site this caught my eye.
    1967, I was 19 and newlywed, Yes! A hippie wedding. We were in school, working part time. We were POOR but the good times didn't cost much.
    Rents aveaged $50.00 a month for a small house. Most people had room for friends, we always seemed to.
    Patched jeans were IN and looked the same on all income levels, Shiny hair and a little bare skin are better looking than designer clothes, when you are young.
    There was usually free music at the park on weekends. If not, play some Dylan, Joplin, Byrds,Loggins and Messina etc. on your 8 track.
    Our VW was usually packed with friends going the same way. And a lot of times with hitchhikers!!
    Strawberry wine cost about a dollar, and we shared that with others.
    No, we did not all do drugs, the lifestyle alone was a trip.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
    I was getting ready to celebrate my 4th birthday and being thankful that I wasn't old enough to actually be aware of how the flower children were ruining my country. Of course, now I'm trying to raise a solid, upstanding family and have to do it through all the rubble created by the hippies and peaceniks, not to mention the politicians who wanted their votes.

Aug 13, 2007, 08:09 AM
    That was a total mistake. I wasn't agreeing with you at all. Unfortunately, I can't change it now. What happened in the 60's was people woke up and realized that they could fight for change and that the people of this country have a voice to speak up against what they don't believe in. War in Vietnam was counterproductive, and everyone knows it. What were we there for? Just like the war in IRaq. We have attacked the wrong country, without the funding or the resources that our military needs, we have destroyed our alliances with other countries and made ourselves more vulnerable in this country for a terrorist attack.
    Hippies as you so call them, advocate for peace, because change can occur without killing people. If we focused on the environment, as the tree loving hippies did, we wouldn't be depleting our resources faster than we can restore them. OUr water wouldn't be poisoned, our oxygen wouldn't be depleted from all of the fossil gases we use, and we would be far ahead of the other countries with utilized alternative types of fuel and saving our country and our pockets, millions of dollars in the future.
    Oh yeah, we can't do that because of Conservative idiots like you, who think electing Bush was a good idea and who have really CREATED THE MESS, along with the lies and deceit of previous administrations.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 13, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Ha ha, I was another 15 years in the making you old fogies!

**Trots off to YouTube and wikipedia to see what the "60's" were like**

Aug 13, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Thanks man!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    I was getting ready to celebrate my 4th birthday and being thankful that I wasn't old enough to actually be aware of how the flower children were ruining my country. Of course, now I'm trying to raise a solid, upstanding family and have to do it through all the rubble created by the hippies and peaceniks, not to mention the politicians who wanted their votes.
    My goodness s cianci, who put the unpitted prunes in your oatmeal this morning? I never thought I would read such a mean spirited thing from you.

Aug 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Ok I see a hint of sarcasm. WHat I SAID was, just like VEITNAM, IRAQ hasn't solved a thing. In order to see the history of what really stopped slavery, racism, and any other tyranny, war has played a part. HOWEVER, I don't believe without people like Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi, or Mother THERESA, Nelson Mandela, JESUS and many more achieving change through peace, we would still be fighting for political freedom and not creating or achieving solutions. IT has been done, peacefully. IT is just a like a pig headed conservative to say something like that. What war were you in by the way? My whole family served in the military from the Civil War, World War I, II, Vietnam, TO THE IRaq war. I am proud of them and my country. I am not proud of our leaders and our previous administrations that send off lower class people to war to serve their own political and financial interests. IF we are fighting for our own freedom, I believe there is always a reason to defend our country. If we created better alliances with other countries and searched for peaceful solutions, we wouldn' t be in the situation we are in today. To lie and deceive an entire nation as to the reasons we entered and engaged in war is the most unconstitutional and unethical thing a president and his administration could do. What about Nixon? What about the McCarthy Era? You seem to have a screw loose mister so take your sarcasm out on someone else. You didn't get my message, it went it one ear and out the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get over my first love? It's been 7 years. [ 11 Answers ]

Here's my story and no one really seems to be able to help me other than telling me I need to let it go and it's stalkerish behavior. You decide for yourself and please give me input into what you think because I need it. It's been way too long I think I got some serious problems. Comment please. ...

Summer Switch on Furnace- on or off in summer? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Carrier furnace for central heat in the basement; the AC unit is newer and outside. I noticed that the Carrier unit has a "Summer Switch". Should it be set to off during the summer months?

Ex-boyfriend of four years that I still love [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so I was with my, now, exboyfriend for four meaningful amazing years and just recently (about three months in counting) he broke up with me. His reasonings were that I didn't tell him the whole truth about things, this is not fully true. I never cheated on him nor did anything of the sort, there...

1967 charger [ 6 Answers ]

Please people I just bought a 1967 charger and know NOTHING :confused: ABOUT IT. Please, if you know anything, ANYTHING about this car, please tell me

Still love my ex after 2 years... I hate it! [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old female who is just now realizing I love my ex still. We broke up a year and a hlaf ago, but tried to do the friend thing until he found another woman. He has been with her for 6 months. He stopped talking to me when he found her. (Good thing) I thought I was over him until I...

View more questions Search