Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    semolina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Late 80s to early 90s movie about worms
    My friend and I are trying to remember the title of a movie we saw in the late 80s or early 90s about a family in the future (very suburban, Leave it to Beaver feeling). But the movie is very bizarre. A few scenes I recall - the mother slicing up some big ugly worm thing like bologna to eat as a snack, the son comes home with a black eye and they use this suction device that has this other big worm thing in it that sucks on his eye to heal it, they own this big ugly hairless hound dog that gets these huge tick like things on it that the kid pulls off and chucks at a dartboard.

Does anyone have a clue what this movie is? You will be my hero if you do!
    Gekko Posts: 347, Reputation: 77

Apr 11, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Ok, I don't know the answer, but I have seen this movie.
    And now for some reason I seem to want to remember what it was called, and I can't find it. So I'm bumping it to the front and hoping that someone else knows...

I completely agree with semolina's description.

It's a freaky movie. Possibly the family (and everyone) was living underground and the men were mining or trying to expand the underground area or something. I seem to remember them with hardhats on and their faces dirty in the scene with the dog and dartboard. They were all watching and cheering.

It was meant to be a comedy I guess, but it wasn't really anything but freaky.
    Had other disgusting goo/sludge affects, like the ticks splatting on the board. And more freaky contraptions like the worm sucker. Can't add much more...
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I am most likely wrong... but what pops up in my head is "Meet the Applegates" 1991... it's a family of giant preying mantis that are pushed out of their home in the Amazon and they move to a suburban neighborhood... disquised as real humans... the dad does work in a factory and wear a hardhat... I haven't seen it in a while... but maybe the worms is what they eat since they are really insects... hope it helps!

Apr 11, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Nope, not the one. Thanks anyway.

I forgot to mention that there is a lot of mechanical puppetry in the movie. The dog for instance. But all the actors are real people.
    And a lot of freaky colours. Like the dog (Again), I think was a bluish colour. Freaky.
    fiend101 Posts: 234, Reputation: 56

Apr 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Sounds like the movie I was looknig for, no luck yet.

May 19, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Better late than never? I knew the movie by it's other title "Life on the Edge"

It's Meet the Hollowheads (1989) - Synopsis
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Cool... I was waiting for this answer to come around!
    sarahlee71083 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
    It's Tremors :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/
    fiend101 Posts: 234, Reputation: 56

Jul 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by semolina View Post
    My friend and I are trying to remember the title of a movie we saw in the late 80s or early 90s about a family in the future (very suburban, Leave it to Beaver feeling). But the movie is very bizarre. A few scenes I recall - the mother slicing up some big ugly worm thing like bologna to eat as a snack, the son comes home with a black eye and they use this suction device that has this other big worm thing in it that sucks on his eye to heal it, they own this big ugly hairless hound dog that gets these huge tick like things on it that the kid pulls off and chucks at a dartboard.

Does anyone have a clue what this movie is? You will be my hero if you do!
    Try "Meet the Hollowheads"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yet Another late 80s early 90s title question... [ 2 Answers ]

This one was a movie where a girl and I believe her father wind up stranded at a strange trailer park in the desert because their car breaks down or something of the sort. The teenage girl befriends a couple of guys, one who is a "bad boy" type and one is sort of nerdy. I remember the nerd had a...

Specific late 80s or early 90s show. [ 1 Answers ]

I got thinking of this show I used to watch when I was little, but I cannot remember the title of it and now it is driving me crazy. :confused: I remember it was about these 3 characters (one was a red panda with a safari hat, one a fat panda and I a third one of whom I cannot remember any...

Late 80s or early 90s movie [ 1 Answers ]

Well, about a week or two ago a saw this movie on TV but really late at night. It's from the 90s I think but I don't know what the name is and I would like to know because I really liked the movie. I can't remember much, only that its about this girl named Don, I think, that's in junior high and...

Children/Fantasy Movie from the late 80s early 90s [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find this one movie that I used to watch when I was like three. I don't remember much but I'm pretty sure its is from the early 90s. It starts with a boy on his front stoop in a city. And he finds out that his dad was a king or prince of some fantasy land. Im pretty sure his dad gets...

Obscure late 80s or early 90s help [ 1 Answers ]

I have no idea what this movie or perhaps TV show, but I have this vivid memory of watching something, I don't remember much but this is what I do remember. It was about a little boy, he is at his home and a man delivers this large canister to his house, he gets into the canister, this canister is...

View more questions Search