Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dweaver840 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling
    I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top leading out of it.
    My question is this: we are having difficulty setting the wiring up so that we can use the wall switch for the lite only and the pull switch for the fan. Is this possible? Right now the wall switch is bypassed and everything is controlled by the pull switches. Also, in my research I've noticed that most wiring instructions have listed only one white, one black, and one ground coming from the ceiling. Why is mine different? I know nothing of the wiring in my home unfortunately and would appreciate any input you fine folks might have... thanks!
    BTW.. the wires on the ceiling fan are: 1 black 1 white 1 blue and of course the ground wire
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Connect the blue from the fan to whatever wire the light's black connected to. LEave the other wires where they are, and it should work. If it does not, switch the fan's black and white.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 05:36 AM
    I think the black and whites connect to black and white, Black being constant power, red may come come back up from switch.
    I woud say connect fan white to 2 whites, fan black to 2 blacks, and red to blue.
    dweaver840 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Blacks to black, whites to white, red to blue was the one. Thanks a lot guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a Hampton Bay, Carriage house II Ceiling fan I want to be able to have the fan run without the lights on, but I would like to be able to turn the light on with the room switch, but still have the fan run with the room switch off. I know it can be done but I'm not getting how the wiring...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I'm installing a ceiling fan in a bedroom and theintructions say to attach black to black and whiteto whita wires. The problem is there is no black wire on the fan motor. There is a red, blue, whte and brown wires. Which one do I use instead of the black wire?

Wiring new ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a ceiling fan into a living room that had no previous ceiling fan/light. A switch next to the door controls the wall receptacle and another switch for the front porch light. I would like the receptacle to no longer be controlled by the switch, just be "always on," and I would like...

Ceiling fan - red wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hampton bay ceiling fan what do you contact the red wire too

Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

My new Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/lights says to connect the blue and black wires to the black wire and the white to the white. However, my ceiling junction box just has two white wires. I tried connecting the blue and black wires to one white wire and the white wire to the other white wire. The...

View more questions Search