Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snigadnol Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Squeaky AC motor
    A chirping noise is coming from my AC unit. I think it is coming from the fan motor. The squeaky chirping noise (sounds like a cricket) kind on cycles so that during a cooling cycle, the fan will go from making no unusual noise to this squeaky chirping noise and then back to no noise again. Do you think it is a motor bearing going out? If not, then what else could it be? Is this likely something I can repair myself, or do I need a professionals touch?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2005, 12:20 PM
    Some motors are meant to have oil or grease added. Look for a little thing sticking out from where the bearing is. If it has a flat, hinged cap, add a few drops of a light machine oil. If it is more Coke bottle shaped, it is a Zerk grease fitting. A couple of pumps with a grease gun is all it should need. Many of the bearing are sealed, lifetime bearings. When it goes dry, the motor's life is ended. A bearing transplant might save it. That is a challenging project for DIY. You might be able to remove the motor and take it to a motor shop and let them use their specialized tools to replace the bearing.

If the fan is belt driven, it could be the bearings in the fan shaft, or even the belt itself. A good shot of belt dressing from a spray can might fix the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeaky floor [ 3 Answers ]

How can I stop a kitchen floor from squeaking? We have the carpet up, so can work on the subfloor.

GE Profile Squeaky Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Your description on repairing the Frigidair squeaky dryer was very clear. I too have a squeaky dryer but it is a GE Profile. If it is not too much trouble can you please provide the same clear directions on how to fix my problem. One added comment. The squeak is louder and more frequent with...

Squeaky dryer [ 6 Answers ]

We have a dryer that is obnoxiously squeaking every time that the drumb spins... first off I don't know what is wrong with it... second we would like to fix it... but my big question is it safe to use in the mean time?? Lastnight I hung all my wet clothes in the garage and guess what?? Yep... they...

Squeaky stairs [ 8 Answers ]

I have some stairs that squeak really badly, any suggestions on how to fix them? Thanks

Squeaky Trane Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Noticed last night that my Trane furnace was squeaking like a cricket when the air conditioner was running. Then every so often it would make an awful squealing sound like maybe a motor was getting stuck and unable to turn. From reading other posts I'm guessing that I might have a bearing or belt...

View more questions Search