Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Switches on and then off
    When switching on my PC, it starts up, the screen flashes and then it goes off again. I tried starting in safe mode, same thing happens, it just starts up and then goes off and there is nothing, completely dead
    I am using Windows XP
    I have tried taking all the plugs out and putting back in - still nothing
    Any suggestions please
    Thanks
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Can you check whether your CPU fan is functioning and properly placed securely on the CPU. It can be that the fan is not well connected to the CPU and the processor is heating thus causing the PC to shutdown inadvertently!

Jun 26, 2007, 04:10 AM
    The fan is working properly. Sometimes a message comes up on the screen before it closes down same something like " Stop:C0000135 (unable to locate component) This application has failed to start because USP10.dll was found. Re-installing the application may fix this"
    I can't reinstall anything because I can't get the PC to start.
    Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 04:35 AM
    Can you boot from CD and try to repair your OS?

Jun 26, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Do you mean put in my windows xp cd and try to start from there? Sorry am not to clever with pcs. (In fact I am enquirying for a friend)

Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 05:02 AM
    Yes, But you should repair and not install or overwrite the current operating system.
    Haxzor50 Posts: 147, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 26, 2007, 06:47 AM
    If the fan isn't installed properly, there also may be dust, how old is this computer?

Try cleaning the fan before any of that, if fan cleaning doesn't work, then yes, you may want to repair it with the cd...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2007, 06:50 AM
    I vote for a repair. Insert the XP CD and power up, make sure you boot from the CD, then run the Repair option.

Jun 26, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Ok have contacted my friend who has lost her CD - could she use mine? And if so, do we just put it in the cd drive, switch on and then if it starts do "repair"
    Sorry for being stupid
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Your CD MIGHT work or it might not since its not the same license. Assuming the PC is set to boot from the CD drive, then just inserting, powering on and following the prompts to the Repair option should do it.
    -

Jun 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
    If she has a internet connection, then no it won't work..

They all have serial numbers...

Jun 28, 2007, 02:57 AM
    Ok, so what else can she do - seems when she moved house she lost her cd.
    Thanks for all the advice up to now
    -

Jul 1, 2007, 08:50 AM
    She needs to go to the nearest computer store and get a win. Xp disk.. I couldn't tell you how much they are now, but she could get one of her own, they should be cheap since vista is out now, sorry it took so long...

Jul 3, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Thanks so much for all your help - my CD worked and now her PC is up and running again
    THIS SITE IS THE BEST!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am working with a bathroom light above the sink and a fan light combination. It has a hot wire to a junction box. How do I wire it? Trying to replace what was there but in moving the box the switch does not turn off.

Dimmer Switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I got new diva dimmer switches installed today by a licensed electrician. Does anybody know if when they are in the off position I am supposed to see a light behind the actual switch? I was just wondering if they were installed correctly. Please help. Amy

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search