Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Water heater
    I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot and cold pipes were leaking. We unscrewed it and noticied some of the insulation they put in spilled into the threads. I thought that's what was causing it to leak but we pealed all of it off. I was wondering if you know of any tricks to plug that up. It isn't a huge leak, but it puddles a little bit around the recessed fittings. Someone had suggested wrapping a rag soaked in salt and water and letting that, I guess, corroded around there wipping off the excess. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions would be aprreciated. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    I wanted to bounce something off of you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot and cold pipes were leaking. We unscrewed it and noticied some of the insulation they put in spilled into the threads. I thought that's what was causing it to leak but we pealed all of it off. I was wondering if you know of any tricks to plug that up. It isn't a huge leak, but it puddles a little bit around the recessed fittings. Someone had suggested wrapping a rag soaked in salt and water and letting that, I guess, corroded around there wipping off the excess. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions would be aprreciated. Thanks.

What fittings? What "insulation"? Plug what up? What leak? Where from? A rag soaked in salt? Repair a leak by letting it corrode?
    I'm sorry but I can't make much sense out of your question. I'm sure you can see this clearly in your minds eye . However I need more details before I can answer. Perhaps one of the other experts can make sense out of this. How about it guys? Tom

Jun 20, 2005, 11:20 AM
    Water heater
    Sorry for the vagueness. I don't know the terms very well and you're right I can see it better than explain it. Ok, here goes again. It is leaking where the two hot and cold water supply lines go into the water heater. They put insulation inside the water heater and it seemed some of it spilled over where you would screwed the supply lines into the water heater. I scraped most of that out of there but it is still leaking. A friend heard about doing the rag in salt water as a way to seal the leak provided it is a ver small leak. Corroding it is the best way I could describe what he was talking about. I hope I explained it better. Thanks
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2005, 12:20 PM
    Did you use any...
    Sorry for the vagueness. I don't know the terms very well and you're right I can see it better than explain it. Ok, here goes again. It is leaking where the two hot and cold water supply lines go into the water heater. They put insulation inside the water heater and it seemed some of it spilled over where you would screwed the supply lines into the water heater. I scraped most of that out of there but it is still leaking. A friend heard about doing the rag in salt water as a way to seal the leak provided it is a ver small leak. Corroding it is the best way I could describe what he was talking about. I hope I explained it better. Thanks
    ... pipe sealant (such as Teflon tape) on the pipe threads before connecting the pipes?

Jun 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
    I already have that on there. Is there some other form of sealant that I could use? I was going to go to a True Value Hardware store to see what they say.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2005, 05:03 PM

Thank you, you explained it fine. If True Value doesn't have what you need try Grrip Pipe Joint and Gasket Sealant made by Hercules Co, check it out at
    http://www.herchem.com/PDF/grrip.pdf
    I hope this takes care of your leaks. Regards. Tom

Jun 21, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Water heater
    Thanks Tom, Flickit. You guys are awesome! I have a plumber friend locally but sometimes don't like to ask him because he sounds like my father did when he was alive. Needless to say, he makes me feel stupid and doesn't realize I was never taught these things. I am trying to learn as I go. You guys answer our questions without belittling us. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Hot water heater help [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced my electric hot water heater. I think the coil burned out on the old one. I bought a Whirlpool 12yr and it has the "diagnostics" on it. I connected everything, filled it with water, then turned on the power... no green light.. no power. The line coming in has power. It runs off a...

View more questions Search