Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dj48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Dog terrified of thinderstorms
    I have 6yr old black male German Shepherd, 110 lbs, that is terrified of thunderstorms (lightning and thunder). He was not like this as a puppy until after 6-8 mo old. It has gotten worse with each season and this has been the worst storms. He has been jumping up on the door and the knob for the last 3yrs. Now he chews on the handle to the point of buying new ones about every couple of storms. The door is steel but he has scraped away the paint. The last 2 yrs, he is now chewing on the wood trim and this yr the siding. He stays outside during the day. If inside, he will paw at me until I get up, he shakes like a leaf, pants, tried to dig in the closet, etc. He has also developed separation anxiety that is getting worse. My vet has tried him on several anti anxiety drugs and just last month put him on Prozac. Nothing works. I give him Ace when I'm at home, but he still is terrified. And if the storms are during the day, there is nothing I can do. I have trained and shown GS for 12 yrs, and owned them for 40 yrs, and am pretty sure that I am not doing anything to enable this behavior. My biggest concern is the absolute terror that he must feel. In discussions with my vet and their experts, it is looking like I might need to put him down. I am hoping that someone may have one more suggestion that I can try before I do anything. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Try Cesar Millan(Dog Wisperers)site:
    Cesar Millan

Girlfriend suggest Low dose of Benaydryl to help calm down her dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Most of Caesar Milan's techniques are out of date. Much of the dog training world is moving towards more positive methods.

Does he have a dog house or other small shelter to retreat to outside? It is possible he had a bad time of it sometime with a violent storm and many near by strikes. If he was a puppy in the winter, he may have been too old to adjust well by spring.

Speculating about the causes doesn't help fix the problem. This seems to be a common problem and if the drugs aren't working, it could be difficult to fix. Somebody I respect once suggested playing tapes of a storm at higher and higher volumes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Terrified to pick up my hamster [ 22 Answers ]

I have a panda bear hamster who is 2 and 1/2 months old. Whenever I get ready to pick her up I get so nervous and shaky, and I know this make it worse because hamsters sense fear and don't like being handled by nervous owners. What can I do to make myself seem less nervous? She has bitten me twice...

Completely terrified [ 5 Answers ]

How can I tell my parents, whom I have no bond whatsoever with, that I have been depressed for 5 years and in need of help withouth becoming physically sick, shaky, utterly terrified, dizzy, lightheaded, and scared? :(

Mu puppy is terrified of drum kits! :( [ 4 Answers ]

My brother plays the drums but he can't at the moment because our little puppy is terrified of them! :( We don't know what to do! Xxx

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search