Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hayley22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 01:24 AM
    Web Based Games and Data Usage
    Hello :)
    My question is about data usage on broadband..
    My dad pays for our broadband and we had 12 giga bites of downloads each month, we kept going over this limit, so he changed to a plan that allows 20 giga bites per month.
    Now, we are close to reaching this limit and he is getting very cranky.
    My little brother plays a game called rumescape FREQUENTLY and I was wondering if this is what is contributing to the hefty downloads, (my brother tells us that it doesn't use up the downloads)
    So I guess I'm asking; do web based games cause an unreasonable amount of data usage while they are being played?
    Thank you for your help,
    Hayley
    The Oracle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Hi,this may help
    Internet Data Usage Calculator from Chetnet
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 03:58 AM
    There will be some download involved in every website you visit that is not locally stored on your machine. It doesn't matter whether it is a game you are playing or download a program. Playing a game over the internet will consume bandwidth thus increasing data usage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
    What you need to understand is that ANY data from the WEB that is displayed on your PC is downloaded. Whether it be this page or a video or the screens from a game, its first downloaded to your PC and then displayed through your browser or other front end. The downloaded data is not stored on your PC, its deleted after usage, but it still counts towards your limits.

Check out the link the Oracle posted. I plugged in 2 hours a day, 12/week and 50/month of online gaming and it calculated:

Based on the figures you entered in the form above, we have estimated your monthly bandwidth consumption to be 6.94 Gigabytes per month of downloaded data and 6.94 Gigabytes per month of uploaded data. This gives an estimated total requirement of 6.94 Gigabytes per month.

That's without any other activity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home based Data entry work [ 4 Answers ]

Warm Greetings, I would like to know if any body here knows regarding online job sites. Please recommend any, if you know, moreover it should not be scam site or demanding fees. Regards

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Software to Track Internet Data Transfer & Usage [ 17 Answers ]

I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and received. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as I...

Web based communication [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a way for two people to have instant communication over the internet without installing any software. MSN2Go or something similar would be ideal but unfortunately we are prohibited from using IM by our sysadmin. A solution to this problem would be an inhouse web-based IM/chat...

Web Based Sent Mail [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I've been using web based email using SMTP and all of the sent mails have been stored on the server. Is there a way to download those sent mails from the server into the "Sent Items" folder of Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP-3? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search